cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neverscroll
Message 1 of 9

BT Total Broadband Speed dropped from 8Mb/s (over the last 6 years) to 0.8Mb/s

Hi,

the last week I experienced severe issues with BT Total Broadband, so today I took on checking what's going on.

BT Total Broadband is advertised at 17MB/s download speeds, over the last 6 years I used to get 8Mb/s which _was_ pretty good.

Since a couple of days I am getting 0.65 Mb/s download speed. Upload is 0.31Mb/s !!!! (measured using http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/)

BT's own test (first post in this forum) shows that the BT Exchange gives me max. 1.12MB/s download speed. Because I used to get 8Mb/s from them, it is pretty clear that _something_ has changed.

I called BT, and the very polite guy there

1. made me reset the hub losing all my settings
  2. tried to convince me the issue is my HomeHub 2.0 and that he could upgrade it to the 3.0 price at a very reasonable rate. Me telling him "the hub is fine, the connection to the exchange is the issue" was of no importance to him ... instead he
  3. tried to convince me "I am getting the max of what was promised to me" as the IP Profile from my line is set to 1.03Mbps. Me telling him I was getting 8Mb/s until a couple of days ago and that they advertise 17Mb/s, only made him change his pitch and try to push me for buying BT Infinity and get into a new contract with BT.

I told him I want BT to deliver the service I am paying for and fix the issue they provably have on their side.

In summary: I have been receiving an excellent service from BT for years. BT Infinity comes out in my area. BT Total Broadband goes down from advertised 17Mb/s and actual 8Mb/s to 0.65Mb/s ... and customer care tries to make it my problem and push me to upgrade. Coincidence?

I am having a call with BT this afternoon, as my case was escalated to 2nd level. I would be interested to know if others experienced the same treatment. Obviously, despite my loyalty of 8 years to BT, I will not accept them try to make their issue my problem and try to push me into a lock-in contract.

Cheers

Added: here is some info from the Hub as well ....

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 1:02:36
Downstream1,205 Kbps
Upstream401 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)12.3 dB / 4.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)37.0 dB / 35.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)23
Loss of Signal (Local)3
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)26 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)3

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Total Broadband Speed dropped from 8Mb/s (over the last 6 years) to 0.8Mb/s

welcome to the community forum

the installation of fibre is different equipment and should not affect your adsl connection

the adsl is still sold up to 17mb but with your attenuation I would expect a speed of about 10mb on a good line with no noise  your connection time is only 1hr was that due to manual reset (request from CS?)

are you connected to test socket?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone   if cordless dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
neverscroll
Message 3 of 9

Re: BT Total Broadband Speed dropped from 8Mb/s (over the last 6 years) to 0.8Mb/s

hi @imjolly

my BT Homehub is very rarely reset (maybe once a month, usually even less). The reason for the short uptime is - as you rightly comment - that I was asked to fully reset it by BT Customer Support (losing all my settings along the way).

I am connected - since 8 years - on the main socket, with an ADSL filter in front of it to remove noise. Never had an issue.

The big problem is that I need the speed as we have a home office. BT seems to have downgraded the IP profile (not my bill, this is still high) and therefore fiddling on the hub won't solve it. Nothing has changed around the Hub, no new gadgets that would cause interference etc.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

have you tried the test socket?  have you changed the filter as they do not last forever?

do you check your stats often as you may not reset your connection but it is quite possible for your router to drop conenction and reconnect and you may never know - when you are out or even during the night

your noise margin at 12.3db is high as normal is about 6db suggesting drops/resets of conenction not just the one you did at CS request

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
neverscroll
Message 5 of 9

As the below shows, there is ample capacity where I leave ... since forever ...

Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange XXXXXXX is served by Cabinet 37

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)8063.42020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)75.749.32016.1--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 15.5--13.5 to 17.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 15.5Up to 113.5 to 17.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

you profile is controlled by your connection speed and is 88.2% of conenction speed - so higher speed gives higher profile not the other way round.  the sysytem is automatic so nobody has lowered your connection speed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Highlighted
neverscroll
Message 8 of 9

Hi All,

just to say that BT has figured out / claims there is a problem with the line to my house ... in fact landline calls do not work at all (just white noise) !

I did not notice this, as I am using BT Broadband talk, but people tried to reach me on the landline and could not. Which means the ADSL filters somehow worked to let some internet packets through, but voice calls are not possible ...

A fix is expected by tomorrow, after which I am told fast broadband speeds will return.

I'll keep you updated

Cheers,

Thomas

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

hopefully if openreach (no BT) fix your phoneline then your broadband will improve

look forward to your update

0 Ratings