cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

BT check says I have a number of devices wirelessly connected, but I actually only have my laptop.

For my sins I read the dailymail on line, five days ago it suddenly did not load properly.  

Firefox will not not download the dailymail at all, I get a blank page, at the bottom it says "waithing for sripts.dailymail.co.uk..." and stays there.

Safari partially loads the daily mail, and often when I click a link, I see the text but no pictures.

Today, I turrned my hub off and a couple of minutes later turned it back on.

BT says my download speed is 5.27 Mb/s which they say is good, and I am sure that I have found 4.5 Mb's OK previously.

BT also sayes that there are a number of devices connected to my hub, but there is only my laptop which is 30 cm from my Hub.

Anyone have advice please, has someone gained access to my hub (the password is complex as supplied by BT), it is a BT Home Hub 3 and is probably 3 years old.

EQUIPMENT: BT8500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5.
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT check says I have a number of devices wirelessly connected, but I actually only have my lapto

Do you have any Smart TVs, Bluray Players, Powerline adaptors etc that are connected to your Homehub?

It could also be showing something that was connected but has not been flushed out of the logs. Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

0 Ratings
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: BT check says I have a number of devices wirelessly connected, but I actually only have my lapto

I don't have any Smart devices etc and have never connected anything other than my laptop to the Hub.

After "factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for" 30 secs:-

Firefox is worse and does not make any connection with the dailymail, and Radiotimes is extremely slow and will not fully load, ie get an "x" at the far right in the address bar.

I should add the daily mail page never fully loads on Safari and I get a "x" at the far right in the address bar.  However, I just tried the Guardian and that fully loaded in a reasonablr time on Safari, but has not fulled loaded on Firefox after a couple of minutes, ie get "x".  Note the degree of loading can vary with time of just 30 secs.

Could my Hub be faulty?

EQUIPMENT: BT8500 trio phone, BT line rental, BT broadband, and Safari on MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Note, the community.bt.com fully loads up quite normally.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Could be a faulty hub or problems with your computer or problems with your connection. To establish which you will need to do some tests.

What type of broadband do you have? Due to your speeds I presume it is ADSL (normal broadband) but could you confirm this.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks ggADSL. It has taken me a bit of time to find my eathernet cable.

I will run the checker now.

0 Ratings
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

I cannot see how to add a screen shot, hower I have copied it but the community has made a bit of a mess of it, I hope that you can read it, I have added the bits in italics:-

The column headings are: 

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

(space as no title here - added by bee2tee)

Left in Jumper

The table:-

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available----

ADSL MaxUp to 1--0.75 to 2.5Available----

WBC Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available----

Fixed Rate0.5 ----Available----

Other Offerings                 Availability Date

ADSL Multicast------Available----

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: 

Thank you for your interest.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I cannot run the speed tester because of an ongoing problem with the flash player.  My mac tells me that "No New Updates" and "Adobe® Flash® Player is up to date on this system, "NPAPI Plug-in version 22.0.0.209 is installed". Note the "on this system".  I am running Safari version 6.2.8. which is Mac OS X v10.8 "Mountain Lion", 6.2.8 was last updated August 13, 2015.  El Captain is the latest version.  I note that I get messages on websites to update my flash player, so maybe the new flash player updates are only for later versions of Safari than mine.

BTW my Hub was suppied in April 2012, ie ove 4 years old.

EDIT SEE UNDERLINED TEXT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I have moved you onto the ADSL board as you will get more help here.

You will need to try and get a speed test done. You could use the this one which I believe doesn't use Flash

http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Ratings
bee2tee
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Thanks gg, using that link my download speed was 5.47 Mp/s and upload was 0.40 Mp/s.

BTW I have not updated to El Captain because there are cpmplaints about it on the net, additionally there is an advantage in not being able to play the flash player as it can be a pain.

EDIT:-

Additionally, at about 4 o'clock this afternoon, I found that the daily mail that I had left loaded on Safari, probably for an hour, had completely loaded, that has never happened during the last five days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@bee2tee wrote:

I cannot see how to add a screen shot, hower I have copied it but the community has made a bit of a mess of it, I hope that you can read it, I have added the bits in italics:-

this may help  https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

0 Ratings