cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pembo1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT failed to get back to me

I recently reported a problem with our broadband, slow speed and frequent lost connection. The connection can drop for a fraction of a second but enough to disrupt whatever you're doing, makes it impossible to watch anything by streaming. If I'm on my computer and anyone else uses the internet, then my computer will drop the connection, its a real pain.

I spoke to a very nice lady few days back, maybe 5 or 6. she was on the phone quite along time, said she'd checked everything and repaired everything at their end. Said she'd leave the fault open so I'd get a call back just to make sure everything was still working ok.

Needless to say there has been no improvement whatsoever and unsurprisingly I haven't had a call back. Tried to track the fault on the website and can't get the page to load.

The downloaded speed in the last 2 days has varied between 2.42 & 10.04, the upload speed between 0.35 & 0.51 and the ping between 44 & 114, most frequently above 65, whenever I speak to anyone they seem disinterested in the ping, but correct me if I'm wrong, this is the rate at which a page refreshs and if so then surely it is actually quite important.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT failed to get back to me

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Your ping is the length time a packet of data take to travel from your hub to the website's servers and it can where the websites server is located the further away they are the greater the ping you would not notice on a website loading
0 Ratings
Pembo1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

So the ping is irrelevant?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

ping is more important with on line gaming general internet use you would not notice
0 Ratings
Pembo1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

I have tried the quiet line test and I could hear a slight noise but an engineer has previously told us we will always get some noise because of our lines, we are in a small village, I'm not sure if that is why. Incredibly tonight I've had download speeds ranging from 5.29 to 34.21.

5.29 is about average here, I've never seen anything above 6 so how is 34.21 even possible?

Reading one of the other threads I see they had a power cut, we had the electric off 3 weeks ago for about 6 hours, could that be responsible for us having an unstable connection?

0 Ratings
Pembo1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for the info on the ping 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

That is just a faulty speedtest no a power cut will have no effect on your connection

the quiet line test should be silent were ever you live the engineer was talking rubbish
0 Ratings