Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Derrymilk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

BT limiting my ADSL Speed?

Hi,

I have just switched back to BT 8 days ago after a year with Plusnet. In the last 2 years with BT and then Plusnet I have enjoyed fantastic speeds of 5.5 to 6.5 Meg.

since the switch though, my speeds have dropped drastically to 1meg. My downstream at HH4 is showing a steady 1.125m, where previously it would have sat at 7.

i know BB can take time to settle on a new connection, but this has not fluctuated at all.

Tech support keep repeating the "within guaranteed speeds" line, which I'm growing tired of. The other thing I hear is: point of sale or something?? Basically that this is the package I signed up for, and if I want any better then I need to take out Infinity.

I do not want to take out Infinity, as I was perfectly happy with what I had, at the price I was being offered.

As far as I was concerned, I had signed up for the same U/lL package I had previously with speeds as fast as my line would provide.

I have these figures from my HH4, but have nothing from before the switch as the box history only goes back to the eve I switched over even though I am using the same router and exact same setup.

15:23:29, 20 Dec. ( 78.170000) DSL noise margin: 31.00 dB upstream, 29.10 dB downstream
15:23:29, 20 Dec. ( 78.080000) DSL line rate: 288 Kbps upstream, 1152 Kbps downstream
15:22:59, 20 Dec.

Will try to get the speed test this eve

Barry

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: BT limiting my ADSL Speed?

It can take 10 days of continuous connection for the speed to correct itself via DLM.

Your downstream noise margin is high, so there is plenty of room for improvement.

Do not disconnect or restart the home hub for at least 10 days. If you run a speed test, then do not restart the home hub even if the instructions tell you to.

If after 10 days of connection, the speed is still low, do a single restart of the home hub and see if it improves.

If not, then post back here, and more help wil be available.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 31

the figures remind me of a 1mb fixed conenction

can you post stats from hub manager, troubleshooting and helpdesk

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Derrymilk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 31

Thats exactly what I ws thnking?

The fact the the downstream has not moved at all. My line has been very stable in the last 2 years and speeds have always been good.

When I first joined BT 2 years ago my speeds doubled instantly, again, when I joined Plusnet last year, the speed was 3.5 - 4M, instantley, and recovered over the next few days.

I think there is something limiting me.Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 31

post your adsl stats from the router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Derrymilk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 31

sorry, at work

Will have to wait til this eve

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 31

ok

whenevr you can

0 Ratings
Derrymilk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 31

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068340+NQ34000059
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26.1.1 (Type A) Last updated 23/10/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 4A
5. ADSL uptime:2 days, 04:20:14
6. Bandwidth:288 / 1152
7. Data sent/received:246.4 MB / 3.2 GB
8. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
9. BT Wi-fi:No
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
14. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: 
15. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n (up to 300 Mb/s))
16. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. Firewall:Default
19. MAC Address: 
20. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
21. Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
22. Latency type:Fast
23. Software variant:-
24. Boot loader:-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 31

From the modulation, you seem to be on ADSL Max, very unlikely that BT would place you on a Fixed Rate package as they don't offer that to customers any more (just a few rare cases where they have to due to the customer's exchange not having the Max upgrade).

Can you post the dslchecker results requested by @Keith_Beddoe earlier? It'll confirm what packages are available to you.
0 Ratings
Derrymilk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 31

?? BT wholesale speedtest?

0 Ratings