cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
liath
Message 1 of 6

BThub 4 connection drops out during the last 4 days

So, been with BT for around 1.5 years, only have their broadband.  In the past my hub4 would drop out like once every other month for 5 second- whatever.  During the last 4 or so days, I am pretty much without connection. 

The hub flasheds orange (no other lights)- it can do that for anywhere from 30 seconds to half the day, only to then start working for again anywhere from 30 seconds to hours.

Tried soft and hard reboots, nothing.

Went through online trouble shooter, however there is not even an option for only orange light flashing. Contacted customer support, he told me to change my wireless settings, wifi worked for couple of hours and then back to orange. Now I left a complaint, but maybe can get a solution here.

Something to consider is that I am on a macbook, I changed wireless settings to resolve my macbook losing/unable to connect to the wifi. However since the issue begun, resetted everything to defualt (this is essentially what customer suppport told me to do)...

Another coincidecne is that my issue begun pretty much the next day after I changed my direct debit- although cant see how this would affect anything.

I really believe this is an issue on BT side, I am in London zone 2 area. Maybe someone also has the same issue? Or somehting wrong on my side.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Technonerd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: BThub 4 connection drops out during the last 4 days

If your HH4's light is flashing orange, then it is a line not a wireless problem.

Is your Hub connected to the test socket (the socket behind the front plate of your master socket)? If not, please try connecting the Hub to it, and see if the drop outs stop. If they do, then the problem is due to your internal wiring.

Can you post line stats? Go to http://192.168.1.254 - Troubleshooting - Event Log, select category "WAN" and then find two lines that looks similar to this:

18:08:37, 22 Mar.

(11258.340000) DSL noise margin: 16.00 dB upstream, 3.80 dB downstream

18:08:37, 22 Mar.

(11258.270000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 160 Kbps downstream

Can you complete a quiet line test (also in the test socket)? Dial 17070 and select option 2, the line should be quiet between the announcements (other than a dull hum if using a cordless phone).

0 Ratings
liath
Message 3 of 6

Yes tried the test socket before, same random drop outs.

Found these similar looking things from the log from today.

11:35:10, 17 Apr.( 77.350000) DSL noise margin: 14.00 dB upstream, 9.90 dB downstream
11:35:09, 17 Apr.( 76.300000) DSL line rate: 444 Kbps upstream, 4525 Kbps downstream

12:06:10, 17 Apr.( 1918.680000) DSL noise margin: 27.70 dB upstream, 20.00 dB downstream
12:06:09, 17 Apr.( 1917.370000) DSL line rate: 444 Kbps upstream, 4525 Kbps downstream

I also finally run the BT speedtest, as it there was maintanance for the lasts couple of days. It showed me that I have 0mb/s... . Eventhough my internet was clearly working and other online speeds tests gave me 3-4 mb/s.

0 Ratings
liath
Message 4 of 6

Also I can not run quite line test, as I dont even have a phone.

0 Ratings
Technonerd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the information.

The quiet line test is really important. Is it possible for you to borrow a phone from a friend, or if not you can buy one for around £5 from Argos (cordless will have a dull hum, corded should be quiet).

0 Ratings
liath
Message 6 of 6

I do not have a landline phone.

thanks

0 Ratings