cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tyshwy
Message 1 of 8

BY Broadband Accelerator

I got an email from BT saying my exchange has been upgraded and I should start to see higher speeds.  At the bottom of he email was a suggestion to further boost speed by using a Broadband Accelerator, free of charge other than postage, with a link to bt.com/accelerator.

I've tried different devices and browsers and always get a blank page so can't find out anything about the accelerator.  Is anybody else seeing a blank page for that, or would anyone from BT like to fix it?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BY Broadband Accelerator

Unless you have extension wiring, its unlikely to make any difference.

Even if you have extension wiring, disconnecting the bell wire as described on the next link, will do the same.

http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

0 Ratings
tyshwy
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Keith.  I don't have extensions (since I ripped the old one out that I wasn't using) so I'll not bother.

Still annoying that BT send me an email telling me to go to a page on one of their products, and that page is blank.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Sometimes these things are old promotions that get left in emails. The broadband accellerator was quite popular in the past, before the introduction of the MK3 filtered faceplate.

In your case, it would not have helped.

If you have been upgraded from ADSL Max to ADSL2+, then the most useful information can be gained by looking at the ADSL connection information on the home hub, depending on which home hub you have.

Its important to leave things for at least 10 days, to allow a new line profile to be recorded.

0 Ratings
tyshwy
Message 5 of 8

Much as I'd like to look at my ADSL status, I have a Home Hub 4 which gives no info other than basic speeds.

I'm only on day 3 so will wait until mid nxt week before properly looking into what I'm getting now, bu do you know of a way to see if I'm now on ADSL2+ without buying a different modem/router?

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

You could try Troubleshooting -> Helpdesk and see if it lists the modulation there. G.992.1 is ADSL Max, G.992.3 is ADSL2 and G.992.5 is ADSL2+.

Another method would be to run the BT Wholesale speedtester and run the further diagnostics. That will show IP profile on upload, which will confirm if you are on ADSL Max or ADSL2+. The wholesale tester can be found here: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
0 Ratings
tyshwy
Message 7 of 8

Thanks - I'll look into both of those

0 Ratings
tyshwy
Message 8 of 8

Woohoo - I have ADSL2+, Home Hub 4 -> Troubleshooting -> Helpdesk says modulation is G.992.5 Annex A.

I'll wait until 10 days after upgrade and see what kind of performance I now get.

Thanks guys for your advice

0 Ratings