Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chas662
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Bad upload speed and latency.

Go to solution

Hi, A few months ago I had some problems with my line, and all the speeds were terrible, but now luckily they have resolved these - sort of.... 

So now I am getting a stable 3Mbps down, v good for this line seeing as the speed checks say I should get 1.5Mbps or something, so I am happy that it is actaully testing at double that, but the upstream rate is now shocking, and I belive this may be part of the reason that it feels as if I have terrible ping whilst online gaming and generally just browsing the web. The original issue with my line was that there was a physical break somewhere and they could not locate it - so before they just reset the line which got me the downstream rate back, so I presume that this is the issue with the upstream, could it be that there is corrosion building on the line etc? Would appriciate the help with this issue, as it is really annoying, and previous correspondance with BT has resulted in the standard response of 'your line is testing over your gaurunteed downstream rate so it is fine' this is really not acceptable, surely you understand that the downstream is not the only important part of the process! 

(Also my ping is actually still testing around double what it was before coming to BT, which I am not happy about! But when playing on games it is usually over 400! making it impossible to play)internet speed test.png

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Bad upload speed and latency.

Go to solution

Please enter your phone number into the following checker and post the results. Don't forget that this is a publically viewable forum so do NOT include your phone number when you post the results: http://dslchecker.bt.com

Run the following speed tester. When the first test completes, click the 'Further Diagnostics' button. In the ADSL/Fibre to the cabinet box, enter your phone number and run the second test. When second test completes, post the results (don't post results from the first test). Note that this test MUST be done with a wired connection: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

It sounds very much like you are on ADSL Max, but posting the above information will confirm what package you are on and whether you can upgrade to improve the upload speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Can you post stats from your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
chas662
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number -------------- on Exchange ROCKBOURNE is served by Cabinet 2

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate2----Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line does not have left in jumpers.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Unfortunately I cannot do the further diagnostics section of the BTW Speed Test as it has never worked for me for some odd reason, always comes up with an error message. 

As the above table depicts, yes I am on ADSL Max, and unfortunately there are not any solutions right now for better speeds.

note: I just ran another speed test on BTWholesale, and the download is now 0.93, upstream 0.14 and latency 169, this is painful!

0 Ratings
chas662
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I am not using the provided HH4, but when i tried using it the other day the results were no different, I can however still post the stats; 

Current Rate (Kbps)

Max Rate (Kbps)

SNR Margin (dB)

Line Attenuation (dB)

Errors (Pkts)

table got a bit messed up but you get the picture, left coloumn up, right down.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
without seeing the further diagnostic test it is impossible to see if it is a profile or congestion issue your upload max speed is 448k so around 300k is quite normal are you using a wired or wireless connection
0 Ratings
chas662
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution
This was on a wired connection if i remmember correctly, I am pretty sure I used to get around 1Mb up though so its a bit annoying that it is now synching at 448. Not sure what I can do about the further diagnostic page as like i said it has never worked for me.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
unless your exchange had ADSL2+ enabled your max upload speed is set at 448k as to the speedtest have you tried another browser also the speedtest does play up from time to time
0 Ratings
chas662
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
Oh okay must not have been that fast then, yeah it test the same on all devices and similar across all speed test services.
0 Ratings