Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cronus
Message 1 of 6

Banding keeps decreasing

Hi,

I am having a problem with my banding keeps decreasing. The connect was no problem with no drop outs or problems from installation and worked without problems keeping at 5.5mbps which I was happy with on adsl 2. Around a week before Christmas it started having problems with it dropping out atleast once per day but quickly coming back, at this point the banding was lowered to about 4mbps.

I mostly ignored the problem at this point other then trying to reset router after a few days but that made no change. I assumed it was just a busy time and hoped it would get better when people were no longer on breaks from work/school.

This speed continue to get smaller to around 3 mbps, but drop outs stopped just after new years as I expected. Over the last 3 weeks the connection has been pretty much without problems other then the lower speed. I restarted my router today hoping to get it to reset the connect but even after weeks of stable connection the banding is not changing.

Is it possible to get the banding put back to what I had before? I was able to get over 600kb/s download for first few months after getting the new line but now I am not getting over 340kb/s which is not enough to stream youtube videos unless the quality is much lower then I find acceptable.

I use LAN to connect my pc and only have that or phone connected which I made sure to turn off when testing.

1. Best Effort Test: 
 -provides background information.

Download speed
achieved during the test was - 2.62 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
 is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.71 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: 

Upload speed
 achieved during the test was - 0.22Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps 

1. Product Name: HomeHub4

2. Serial number: +076281+1729002189

3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.03230-BT (Type B) Last updated 19/9/2018

4. Board version: 01B

5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 01:12:26

6. Data Rate: 448 / 3072

7. Maximum Data Rate: 1088 / 3672

8. Noise Margin: 20.0 / 10.9

9. Line Attenuation: 30.0 / 42.5

10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 42.5

11. Data sent/received: 23.6 MB / 810.6 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

13. BT Wi-fi: Yes

14. 2.4GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-PJC6-2GZ

15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))

16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA & WPA2 (Recommended)

17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

18. 5GHz wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-PJC6-2GZ

19. 5GHz wireless connections: Disabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s))

20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only

21. 5GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)

22. Firewall: Default

23. MAC Address: 48:8d:36:a4:1a:71

24. VPI/VCI: 0/3825. Modulation: G.992.1(DMT)

26. Latency type: Interleaved

27. Software variant: -

28. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)

Thank you for any help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Banding keeps decreasing

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Do not restart the home hub, even if it tells you to do it on a speed test, otherwise each time you do it, it will get worse, as DLM thinks there is a fault.

Why has my speed suddenly dropped?

ADSL connections

Changes in your connection speed are automatically managed by the exchange equipment, using a process called
Dynamic Line Management (DLM)

Its purpose it to give you the best speed possible, without introducing a lot of errors back into the BT network.
These errors impact on other users, and can slow their connection down, as your data packets have to keep being resent.

This is a continous process, but certain things can cause it to make drastic changes to your connection speed.

These can include the following:-

You could have also been recently moved from ADSL max to ADSL2+, this would mean that the line
would have to re-train again, and must be left undisturbed  for at least 10 days.

If you keep restarting or disconnecting your BT Home hub, then the exchange equipment will see this as a fault
condition, and reduce your connection speed, in an attempt to stabilise your line.

You have recently had a fault on your line which has just been fixed.

Sometimes a single interruption to your line can cause this too, especially if it generates a large error burst.

The effect is that you get placed in a low banded speed profile, and you will notice that your downstream margin
is high, usually over 15dB.

The lower the banded speed profile, the quicker it will recover, but it could take up to a month before the full
speed is recovered.

If you want your speed to recover, then these are the steps you need to take.

DO NOT restart or disconnect the power to your BT Home Hub.

DO NOT disconnect your BT Home hub from your phone line.

Leave everything alone for at least 10 days, so that the exchange can record a stable connection.
During this time, the exchange may drop the connection, and re-establish a faster connection.

If you use the BT Speedtester, then do not restart the BT Home Hub, even if it tells you to.

If after 10 days your speed does not increase, then please return to your forum post.

showing  that you have 10 days of connection time, then the problem can be escalated.

You can calculate your final speed by using this website.

Maximum speed calculator

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number    https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

from the up profile on btspeedtester you are on adslmax not adsl2  banded profiles apply to adsl2 connections not adslmax.  it appears you line is not stablehence why your noise margin has not dropped and speed increased

are you using test socket with a filter to see if that helps stability and attainable speed  try this even if you have a filtered master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Cronus
Message 4 of 6

exchange.png

I have done quiet line test and there is noise, along with a little static there is the odd moment of increased noise atleast every 30 seconds.

I have one of the new sockets that does not use a adsl filter and has no test socket when you remove the front face, I unplugged the broadband to test the line.

Oddly the line has increased to 4mbps since posting this so it does seem to be going up but I am guessing the noise is causing it to because unstable and fall again?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

all the master sockets have a test socket   if one of the newest master sockets then test socket right in middle when removing front  https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

if previous version   test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Your download speed seems fine, as shown on your initial post, and well within what you would expect for your line.

1. Best Effort Test: 

Download speed
achieved during the test was - 2.62 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds
 is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.71 Mbps

Bear in mind that you are likely to get a much slower connection on wireless, if there is interference.

What are you seeing 340kb/s speed on? are you sure its not 340kBytes/s (Bytes)

2.63Mbs (bits)   = 0.32875MBs (bytes)  thats about 329KB/s

File download speeds are often shown as megabytes/s

0 Ratings