cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Big reduction in download speed.

Hello.

Normally, my download speed on my BT phone line ADSL is 3.8 to 4 Mbps, but for the past 2 weeks it has been reduced to just over 3 Mbps.

The noise margin is now 9.2 dB, which is too high and indicates a problem.

I have always used the master socket, which includes separate connections for broadband and voice, so no need for a splitter.

I have not changed any hardware at my end, and I am still using my BT Smark Hub (HH6) which is using the latest firmware SG4B1000E020 (23 March 2020).

I have attached a screen dump of the appropriate settings from my HH6.

BT HH6 SettingsBT HH6 Settings

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Big reduction in download speed.

connection time is only 2 min is that hub dropping connection or manual reset?

can you check for line noise  dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

It was a manual reset by me.

Done the silent line test and no sounds at all.

I have also included the line information from the BT wholesale test.

Speed Test.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

as you can see your connection speed is within the expected range so unlikely BT will do anything at present.  If you can keep a stable connection then your noise margin should reduce and speed increase automatically but could take few weeks of stable

I see you are on adslmax and adsl2 is available to you.  I would doubt the change would give you any faster down connection speed but I would expect your up speed to increase from 448kbps to 800/900kbps. so maybe not worth the effort 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

There is clearly an issue.

The Noise Margin is now over 9 dB and so not surprisingly the download speed has decreased.

When you don't have much speed to start with, a reduction of this size is unacceptable and the noise margin used to be around 6.5 dB

The upload speed with my previous provider, EE Broadband (part of the BT empire), provided an upload speed of approx. 800Kbps and download of 3.8 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

the normal reason for increased noise margin is noise on your phone line and/or drops in connection including manual resets to try and improve your connection speed.  In fact resets will have an adverse affect on your connection so you now need to maintain a stable connection and DLM should in 7/10 days start to reduce noise margin and move speed nearer attainable

If you can get 7/10 days stable connection and still no change then repost stats showing stable connection and we can see if mods can help - but stable connection first

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hello.

Thank you for your assistance.

I will report back after 7-10 days if there has been no improvement.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hello.

As I suspected, there has been no improvement in my ADSL profile and speeds.

There is clearly an issue with my line and its profile, so this needs to be passed to the relevant people.

I attached the technical settings page from my BT Smart Hub (HH6).

HH6 Technical SettingsHH6 Technical Settings

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

from looking at your stats your speed has increased slightly and noise margin reduced since your last stats but connection time only 6+ days.  your attainable speed is only 3.4mb so at 3.36mb you are just short and maintaining connection you may get the bit extra as noise margin falls to 6db.  

3.4mb is about average speed for your 56db attenuation which is just over 4km from exchange

0 Ratings