Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pheonix26682
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 166

Re: Bookmarks

Go to solution

Well i've now changed to Firefox and downloaded the Yahoo Toolbar which has all my bookmarks which is great plus its more customisable then the bt yahoo browser was

0 Ratings
fishe1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 166

Go to solution

Lets figure this out for ourselves as usual.

Some of you, like me will have down loaded IE8 updates but not seen any diffeerence and now can't get the fix for the missing bookmarks to work. It probably downloaded but we all thought it would replace the current files on the same icon - nope!

If you still click on the old BT Yahoo icon as usual you will keep going to your old browser (you can tell the NEW one by the magnifying glass & 100% in the bottom right)

You need to close your browser and open INTERNET EXPLORER from your start menu.

You can then set up the new browser which will give you the option of downloading the favorites - if need be use the fix described earlier.

If when you go to file you only get IMPORT - as opposed to IMPORT AND EXPORT this is the problem.

You can of course then setup a new desktop icon for opening IE8

Good luck

0 Ratings
Highlighted
The_Engineer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 53 of 166

Go to solution

I completely agree that the answer given by BT is unacceptable.

It appears that hundreds if not thousands of BT Yahoo users lost the bookmark functionality. BT then listed this as a problem on their service issues page. It must have therefore been a very big problem, as usually, BT never respond to such problems. Having now deleted this issue apparently as resolved, I expected the problem to be fixed and the Browser to respond as normal. No such luck. I have read the work around, which like many other users find unacceptable. Like most people who use Microsoft we all have IE (currently at version 8), but use the BT Browser version as it is claimed by BT to be set up to use IE8 in an effective and efficient manner. BT should therefore fix the problem and not refer users to alternative software. I purposely went through the BT software update site to reinstall the current BT Browser software to ensure I had a clean installation and got exactly the same version reinstalled complete with the MISSING bookmarks.

If BT recommends that its users only use an "unenhanced" version of IE8 and not BT's version, this should be clearly stated on their software update page. I also believe that BT has a proactive responsibility to inform its customers regarding such issues. For a communications company, it is a poor communicator. Why do we all have to find out the problems on a community website when there is a specific Helpdesk responsible for resolving such problems?

I would welcome BT to formally respond to its position on "their" enhanced Browser which currently has a number of problems. I remember when it had a fully functional sidebar. All that slowly died leaving only a "History" section. Since History is a standard "top line" button (File Edit View History Bookmark  ....etc), why should we want it in a sidebar. I could go on with a list of other "enhancements" but would be interested in whether BT will sort out the Bookmarks to work properly on their OWN recommended Browser.

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
jimr
Contributor
Message 54 of 166

Go to solution

I've now downloaded Firefox to give it a try.

Seems good so far, apart from a few differences from IE

My biggest bugbear, which I imagine affects most people, is the absence of the BT Yahoo Browser sign in screen. I now have to type in user/password whereas before it wsa just the password. Also the facility to sign in as a different user. I'd just managed to explain how to do this to the wife and she'd managed to get the hang of it. Very handy as it keeps her out of my bookmarks etc and she can cope with having her own set of about 10 instead of trying to find hers in amongst my 300+

Is it beyond the wit of the people who 'optimed IE8 for the BT Yahoo Browser' to transplant the sign-in front end to IE8, or any other browser or is there anybody out there offering such a front end. I don't want to go down the line of adding users to the PC as it takes so long to switch users

Anyone got any ideas, apart from BT who don't appear to have a clue

0 Ratings
Message 55 of 166

Bookmarks

Go to solution

I've been waiting for almost 48 hours for a reply to my request for help in restoring bookmarks and still no response.  My request for help hasn't even appeared on my fault report page.  The removal of the bookmarks problem from the service status page is an insult to BT's customers.

It's evident from the discussion on this thread that someone at BT has caused a huge problem for a large number of customers.  If a moderator reads this comment BT really must arrange for a message of apology and explanation to be sent to all affected BT users together with a simple fix for the problem. 

Tags (1)
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 56 of 166

Go to solution

Hi All

Unfortunately, whilst the BT Yahoo! Browser has continued to be available to our customers, it has not been supported by software upgrades, largely due to the introduction of improved software such as Internet Explorer 8 (IE8).

As some of you have posted here, there have been some difficulties accessing bookmarks when using the old BT Yahoo! Browser.  We do appreciate how frustrating this can be and are really sorry for any inconvenience caused.  However, you should be able to retrieve this information by upgrading your browser but first you will need to uninstall the old BT Yahoo! Browser from your machine.

To do this please click on the Start button in the bottom left hand corner of your PC, select Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs

Select 'BT Yahoo Applications' from the list and then click on 'Remove BT Yahoo Browser '.

We recommend that you download IE8, to do so you will now need to log into your BT Yahoo! Account @ www.bt.yahoo.com.

(Please note, that if you already have the Yahoo Optimised version of IE8 you can retrieve your bookmarks by following the process outlined below. If your machine does not support IE8 then you should download an alternative browser of your choice & compatible with your operating system, which should have such software pre-installed.)

Once you have entered your username and password, you should select the My Account link which can be found at the top right hand corner of your BT Yahoo! Homepage. 

You now need to select the link to ‘Get BT Yahoo Software’ which is the first item listed in the Resources section found midway down the page on the right hand side. You should now be presented with a software download page from which you can select the option to download Internet Explorer 8.

You can then follow the steps given by David here to retrieve your bookmarks.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
jimr
Contributor
Message 57 of 166

Go to solution

Stephanie

Might I suggest that that you read some of the other posts in this topic (which should maybe be renamed BT Yahoo Browser) There are quite a few complaints in here on loss of functionality i.e the browser sign in screen, which I and many other found very useful from a security point of view. If you only have the BT browser on you computer, it is more secure than IE8 in that no-one can access the internet without a valid account.

Can you explain how to run two instances of any browser giving two or more people different sets of bookmarks.

Also can someone explain what the problem was with the old browser and the disappearing bookmarks. I think many people here feel that they are getting fobbed off. We had a browser that worked and now it doesn't, so has someone made a cockup and are BT scared to admit it

0 Ratings
The_Engineer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 58 of 166

Go to solution

Hi Stephanie,

I am a little astonished regarding your post. BT spent quite a lot of time getting their version of the Browser to work with IE8 (between 6-12 months). Why did they bother if they had no way of continually supporting it? Additionally, the BT Yahoo Browser is advertised as the recommended enhanced browser to use with BT. Today, I removed my BT Browser software and went to the BT site using IE8 to download the "Official" BT Browser Software from the BT Yahoo Software Download page. This resulted in EXACTLY the same version of the BT Browser as I had in the first place. Why, if BT now do no support this software, do they put it on their download page and exactly why has the bookmark functionality go missing? I believe BT should at least explain what has happened and if they are now recommending using an original version of Microsoft's IE8, why is this not made clear to everyone?
I also cannot understand why this issue was correctly reported as a service issue which then just disappeared as resolved. Suggesting the use of an alternative browser may be a solution but so is suggesting people also swap ISPs. Is this the sort of Customer Care one should expect from a company whose main leader (Ian Livingstone) constantly tries to convince people how important he regards Customer Service? Do any of the Moderators here actually report the areas of concern aired on this website to people within BT who can actually take positive action?
I would actually appreciate the problem fixed. Something/someone must have caused the problem so invariably someone can fix it. If it is left as it is then it indicates that BT is really not interested in its "Customers" and if this is so please don't be surprised if whilst changing browsers we all change ISPs!

0 Ratings
jimr
Contributor
Message 59 of 166

Go to solution

Engineer

well said

anyone got Ian Livingston's e-mail address

I've fired one off to the BT board to see if I get a response (more than an auto-reply that is)

JimR

0 Ratings
Monterey_Jack
Contributor
Message 60 of 166

Go to solution

@jimr wrote:
If you only have the BT browser on you computer, it is more secure than IE8 in that no-one can access the internet without a valid account.

You're deluding yourself.

0 Ratings