Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BroadBand cutsout, hhub flash orange, phone ok, then ok after day or so

Hi, 

Getting a wee bit frustrated!

I have a hhub 4, copper bband where I get around 4-4.5 speed normally. In the past few weeks I've had at least 3 instances where the bband has gone down, phone lines OK, hhub flashing orange. First I rang BT, went through their tests to be told an engineer would come to the house and I'd be charged if problem was mine etc etc.

I was going out one day and noticed Openreach van but a pole about 500m from my house (in a v small hamlet) and so thought maybe others were also having problems.

After 2 days, hhub went blue and bband back so rang BT to cancel engineers. Great.  Then a week or so later same happened.  I didn't phone BT but waited. about a day later it came back on.

Past couple of days, again, hhub orange flashing and no bband. Resisted call to BT (it's always a pain and never appears to resolve anything) and after a day or so, BBand back up this morning.

I tried to talk to BT this morning and ask why this was happening and what were openreach doing? Maybe I didn't explain myself but the chap just wanted to do line tests thinking my bband was down which it thankfully isn't at the mo.

I also remembered this happening before, engineer was going to appear etc but the seeing a chap up a pole nearby and then mysteriously the bband starting again.

Is there anyway I can find out if there is a problems somewhere locally that they keep repairing or if it's something different?

My socket where it comes into the house was replaced last a few years ago...it has phone extensions going into the back and 2 sockets on the front, the bband being plugged into the smaller one. 

If anyone could shed a little light onto what maybe happening, I'd be most grateful!

cheers

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BroadBand cutsout, hhub flash orange, phone ok, then ok after day or so

Is there any noise on your phone line?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise in between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi Keith, 

no noises, did the quiet line test and couldn't hear anything....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to eliminate your internal wiring and faulty faceplate?

if you have the new NTE5C then front just unclips and test socket is visible  if previous filtered master then this shows where test socket can be found - shown by black arrow

test-socket-thumb.jpg

have you tried a factory reset of the hub by pressing recessed button on back and waiting until lights flash

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Tried unplugging the hub, waiting a minute then replugging in, tried resetting it, the master connector box, when you take the front off it, you can’t  fit the adsl connector in the test socket as it’s the wrong size, it’s sort of small and fat, only fits into the smaller socket on the front plate by the side of the telephone socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

as I said you need to use a filter to connect to test socket then hub connects to filter - filter just like you had before filtered master socket  once you connect then leave it connected and see if line any more stable   you will need to connect phone to filter as extension sockets will not work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

You need to use a microfilter.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

• Ah...I understood the plate I had, the small socket used for the broadband connectoon on the front of the plate was already filtered by circuitry  hence no need for filters...are you suggesting this isn’t working somehow?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

It may or may not be working correctly but it is more to disconnect your internal wiring to see if that is causing your unstable connection

0 Ratings
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Thanks. I think I have some old filters from years back in the attic...will have a rummage around.

will there be any readings from the hub that may indicate this problem?

0 Ratings