Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jimpp
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Broadband Capped at 1mb and no-one seems to understand

After a recent engineer visit I was told there was a cap on my broadband of 1mb.  The engineer said he couldn't do anything as it was up to 'Sales' to remove it.  So I spoke to sales and then two other departments who have 'never heard of this before' until his report came through and they acknowleged it was a problem.

I was told that the cap would be removed within 72hours, 1 week later and it's still there. I can't get through to anyone to tell me if it has been removed or that seems to understand the problem.  I should mention I live next door-up-one to the exhange so I really should be getting a better service.  Not sure where I can go from here.Smiley Sad

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband Capped at 1mb and no-one seems to understand

First of all, your line will not be capped. It may not be capable of any faster, but it won't be capped, you have just been fobbed off. Secondly, you have posted on the Infinity board, do you actually have Infinity or normal broadband? Just that it is unusual for customers close to the exchange to have Infinity as they are normally connected directly to the exchange rather than a green cabinet. Hence for Infinity, distance to the exchange is not relevant, it is the distance to the green cabinet that determines your speed. Can you put you phone number in the checker here https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post back the results please? Remember to edit out your phone number from the screenshot before posting. Can you also post the results from your hub stats. Hub>advanced> troubleshooting>helpdesk

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

The line may well be on a 1meg fixed rate service. I've seen it happen on occasion when migrating.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@Webby wrote:
The line may well be on a 1meg fixed rate service. I've seen it happen on occasion when migrating.

Definitely won't be Infinity then! Smiley Wink

jimpp
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

It's not infinity, sorry for posting on the wrong forum.  I did the dsl check and this is what it gave me. 

This is so fustrating, why do some people say its capped and some say there's no such thing.  And why would the engineer 'fob me off'.  None of it makes any sense!

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.19.17.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Sorry, that was my fault. I just took it that you were on Infinity. As Webby says, on ADSL it is possible you have been put on a fixed 1M service. Can you post the hub stats please?

0 Ratings
jimpp
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

will do once I've got access. Apparently there's a fault on the line so an engineer is coming out to fix it for the third time.
0 Ratings
jimpp
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Here's my hub stats:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 13 days,00:26:28
Downstream: 1152 kbps
Upstream: 288 kbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

you are on a fixed 1Mb service there is nothing an engineer visit can do you need to cancel that you need the help of the forum moderators with this I have asked them to post here and offer their help
Message 10 of 10

Thanks for helping @jimpp guys.

It does certainly look like you're on the wrong package. We'll need to correct it for you. You can get in touch with us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods.

Thank you

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”