cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blazerunner
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Broadband Connection Speed Almost Down to Dial-up Speeds

Hi, since last Sunday 21st July my HomeHub 2 began dropping the connection regularly. Each time it came back my connection speed was lower, so much so that I now have a downstream speed of 283 Kbps. Prior to this episode I normally got speeds of around 6 Mbps. I've tried all the self-help remedies: checked the wiring, disconnected all other devices, changed the ADSL filter (more than once), confirmed that the hub is plugged into the master BT socket, etc. I should state also that my master socket is one of the older ones with no test socket.

The quiet line test results are that I hear a constant noise (like white noise) in the background. Of note though is that with the HomeHub powered off my line is as quiet as a mouse; as soon as the broadband LED comes on I hear that background noise again.

I've spoken to Customer Services twice during the last two days, each time being told that there are problems with my local exchange (Verwood) and that things should improve within 24 hours. The trouble is that the Service Status site reports no problems in my area; a on-line lline check indicated no problems either. Either they're not updating the site regularly enough (which I can't believe) or, well frankly, it feels like a bit of a brush off to be honest. I've now been told I must wait until Monday before anyone will pick up the problem again. That's a week without any useable internet connection. Aargh! 😞

Can anyone advise what my next course of action should be? Must I just keep waiting?

Here are my ADSL stats:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:05:04
Downstream283 Kbps
Upstream446 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)13.4 dB / 25.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)40.0 dB / 24.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)165 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0
0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Broadband Connection Speed Almost Down to Dial-up Speeds

Hi Welcome to the community forums

when you connect to the test socket then use a new filkter and see if the noise dissapears 

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

As you don't have a test socket if you have extension sockets you cannot eliminate problems due to your internal wiring. Have you removed the bellwire from terminal 3 in master and all extension sockets? The more you manually resette connection the worse. It will get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Blazerunner
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Hi thanks for the quick response. However as I said in my original posting my master socket does not have a test socket (it's one of the older types) and I have changed my filter atleast four times previously, two of these are brand new filters.

0 Ratings
Blazerunner
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Re imjolly. Agreed about the internal wiring. At this stage all I've done is a thorough physical check of each socket to check the integrity of all the connections. I also managed to isolate one of my two extensions as part of my checks with no improvement observed. Not having the appropriate Krone tool I'm a bit reluctant to be disconnecting anything else just yet, however I may just have to get one. 🙂 

Appreciate that resetting the hub makes matters worse, unfortunately, at times like this it's almost unavoidable, and to be honest I think my connection speed can't really get much worse anyway! 😉

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

This was done by CL Keith. Maye your problem. http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/hh2/hh2_issues.html

You don't need the IDC tool as you are just disconnecting the wire on terminal 3. Only connections needed are terminals 2 & 5

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

it is the line noise that is destroying the connection as are the restarts of the hub a few more restarts is going to put you in a banded profile which is then going to take 5 days + stable connection to get out of
removing the bell wire from terminal 3 of each socket may improve the connection with a good line i would be expecting a 9 mb connection
0 Ratings
Blazerunner
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

OK thanks guys. I'll take alook at the sockets again and if appropriate will disconnect terminal 3 on each. Update to follow. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Post back when you can there is always someone around
0 Ratings
Blazerunner
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

I checked each and every socket and have now disconnected terminal 3 from each. Unfortunately no real improvment noticed and the background noise level. Here are my latest ADSL stats:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:23:55
Downstream283 Kbps
Upstream444 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)15.0 dB / 22.7 dB