So here's the strange thing. With the Homehub disconnected and only the phone connected into the master socket the quiet line test gives good results, i.e. no noise. As soon as I connect the Homehub up to the master socket, when the broadband establishes a connection, i.e. the LED turns blue, I hear background noise, almost like modem noise, of a fashion. It's as if I'm getting breakthrough from the hub itself. When i first noticed this it led me to think that it might be the ADSL filter I was using, but as stated earlier, I've changed that on at least two occasions for a new previously unused filter. As things are at the moment only the hub and my corded phone are connected and both to the master hub. Could it be the Homehub itself I wonder?
Yeah, just looked through the event log and have spotted a KERNEL Warm restart message, which he states is one of the indications of a poor power supply. I think another call to CS is in order, as you say. 🙂
Well, quite a lot has happened in the last two weeks. I'm glad to say that the issue has now been resolved. 🙂
Here's a summary:
I ordered a replacement Home Hub 4 which arrived promptly as promised. Unfortunately that wasn't the cause of my problem and the symptoms did not change at all. I was still getting the regular drop outs and ridiculously slow speed of connection. However the 2nd Line support team then got involved; they monitored the line for 48 hours or so; I'm completely in the dark as to what they did or found, but eventually my connection actually stablised for about 30 hours without any drop outs. Finally we were getting somewhere. 🙂 Unfortunately the speed was still in the range of 280 Kbps. Still, one step at a time eh?
A really good idea was that they sent me a text message, to which I only had to reply, and they would contact me at a pre-arranged time/date. This avoided the usual CS caller waiting list and really gave me a feeling that they were taking my problem seriously. So good on BT for that one.
Anyway I digress. Another telephone conversation later, after I'd explained to them that the speeds were still way too slow, they reset the connection (as things had been stable for 30 hours or so) and almost straight away I achived around 2.5 Mbps. Now this is the really strange thing. Before they reset the connection, I'd previously checked my line for that background noise I'd been experiencing; noise that I 'd previously believed was the cause of the slow connection. It was still there. But after they'd reset the connection the noise was gone...completely. So this makes me think that the noise I'd been hearing was a symptom rather than the cause. So now I'm completely baffled as to the root cause of my problem.
Anyhow, things still weren't all that great because after a few hours at say 2.5 Mbps, things would start to grind to a halt again; web pages really slow to load, etc. A check of the Home Hub stats would reveal that the connection was still technically up around the 8 Mbps between the hub and the exchange. Even BT's own speed test would be giving me stats of say 3 Mbps, when all other online speed tests would be reflecting exactly what I was experiencing, which was around 500 Kbps. So I'm not certain how to explain the discrepancy between the results. Other than to say that BT's speed test is optimistic to say the least! 🙂 A reset of the Home Hub would cure the problem for a while but it would slow up again within a few hours. I didn't want to do too many restarts though because I knew that can negatively effect the speed of connection as well.
One more call later, after about a day, I received another text saying that they had an update for me and that things should be greatly improved. I'm glad to day...they were! Hooray! What's more, I'm now achieving connection speeds of around 7 Mbps, something that I've never achieved before. Perhaps all that previous tidying up of my home wiring has reaped benefits after all.
So well done to the support team for finding and fixing the issue. I'd had to sign up to another year's contract to get a free Home Hub replacement that probably wasn't necessary with hindsight, but hey, I'm not too bothered as the new contract gives me unlimited downloads now instead of the 40 Gb limit I had before.
Problem solved I'm glad to report. 🙂