Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Broadband Connection Speed Issues

Hi All

Been struggling with my ADSL2 broadband connection speeds for a while now.  Every time I've rung BT support they check the line at that moment, which always is conveniently fine (they won't take into account the numoerous times i do have the issues).

Anyway, managed to speak to support when I had issues on New Years Day - my 8-10mbps connection was down to 0.12mbps, and upload was almost non existent.  The support guy said he could see problems but did not explain the nature of these.

Through troubleshooting we moved my router from an extension socket to the master socket, and I replaced the microfilter with new.  Speeds did improve back up to the 6-8mbps mark, but still under what they were below (incidentally, I've been using my HH3 from the extension socket without issues for 3 years).

On Friday I upgraded my HH3 to a HH4, and was still getting speeds of around 8mbps.  Today is Sunday, and internet browsing is slow.  I've done numerous tests via the BTW Perfroamce web page.  Speeds has varied from 2.5 to 3.5mbps, nothing like what I have previously enjoyed for the last 18 months.

What do you suggest I do next?  To complicate matters, my contract expires today, so I'm back onto full monthly price.  I don't want to renew as I've had issues with broadband disconnections all 2014, and now I've got speed issues.  As a result, plus the cost and massive potential for savings I can make by switcing providers, I'm most likely to leave them.

Are BT likely to address the issues, or would going to another provider and complaining to them have a better effect?  Is there anything I can do?  I just know I'm not getting the service I used to, and BT appear to be doing very little to acknowledge or fix my issues.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Broadband Connection Speed Issues

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Can you ente your phone number and post results. Remember to delete your number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded phone. If cordless then dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Ok, the last entry in the logs is this:
20:06:31, 03 Jan. ( 93.850000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
20:06:29, 03 Jan. ( 92.330000) DSL line rate: 1108 Kbps upstream, 10264 Kbps downstream

I can't do the noise test until a borrow a corded phone.
0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Can you run and post results from btspeedtester diagnostic test please. Can you also run the dslchecker and post results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

As mentioned above, I'll do the noise test when i borrow a corded phone.

Just to say that my current speeds today are great again, but were terrible 04/01/15 and 01/01/15.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

From the information you posted you have a very good connection well in excess of the estimate for your line. The btspeedtester results look good and as expected for your connection speed

looking ok at present

0 Ratings