Re: Broadband Fails to meet USO

Bump

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

@ClarachDavewrote:

Bump

@ClarachDave 

Rather than bumping your post, perhaps you could do what @imjolly asked in post 6 and we can see what your line should be capable of.   Here's the link enter your phone number and you will get a list like this:

BT FTTC 16-5-20.jpg

Take a screen shot, remove your number but leave the cabinet and exchange (like I have) and post back with the picture (if you can) otherwise copy and paste the results (minus the phone number) back here.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 27

Sorry, I thought that was what I did in post #8

Here it is again:
ADSL Page.png

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

@ClarachDave 

I may owe you an apology, it didn't appear.

OK so the MAX you could get is 11.4 likelyhood to the router will be less, and then it depends how you are connecting to the router.  What suprises me is you mention fibre (in this case FTTC) and you appear to me to be on that.

The checker shows 4.5 for ADSL 2+ 

Go here to get the stats:

Smart Hub Log.JPG

Stats should look like:

what info should be displayedwhat info should be displayed

If you can post that it would be great

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 15 of 27

Looking at your stats your attainable speed is 13mb but at present your connection speed is only 7mb but your noise margin is high at 13.3db suggesting connection problems with line dropping.  If you can get a stable connection then noise margin down to normal 6db then your connection speed should move closer to attainable and above 10mb. As you are on a Huawei cab then once stable connection then DLM should activate G.INP which will give a boost to your connection speed by lowering noise margin nearer 3db and taking speed further over the 10mb you are looking for

need to find cause of high noise margin and fix your line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 16 of 27

No problem,

Here is the stats page. This is a problem which has been going on for a while, and is our reason for changing from talk talk to BT. Frequent disconnects, particularly in wet weather and low speeds has been a feature of our internet here for ever. It used to be because our lines came over from Aberystwyth and were too far away from the exchange, but apparently there is now fibre in the valley below us, but it doesn't seem to have helped a great deal.
Possibly we are on fibre 'technicaly' but,HubStas2.png if we are, the cabinet is probably 800m or more of copper away. The fibre seems to stop about 500m away from little our hamlet of houses and nobody gets reasonable speed. What would be really helpful would be a discussion with somebody about the cost of 500m of fibre and a cabinet and how we could work that.

dave
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

From the information you have posted your are on FTTC - fibre to the cabinet - and then normal copper line from cab to your home.  However from your speeds your line length is a lot longer that your estimate as can be seen from this graph

original.png

If you are using test socket and still dropping connection and line is silent then you are going to need engineer visit to get stable line and therefore speed increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 18 of 27

That graph of speed vs copper distance is very useful, thanks.
It rather suggests that we are ~3km of copper away from the fibre, which is about as far as you can get and have it still work. This would account for the slow unreliable service and fits in with what we've been told about the wiring of our bit of hillside.

What we'd like to do is get a cabinet close to our little hamlet by extending the fibre which already comes within 500m.

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

I think the high noise margin and line problems could well be due to us being somewhere over 2km from the cabinet. The cable is all on poles thorugh farmland and woods.

I had a look on https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm for our postcode (SY23 3DH) and according to that 100% of the area is under 10mbps.

Do you know how we would go about getting some actual fibre and a cabinet nearer us?

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 27

The high noise margin suggests a line problem and not necessarily a result of the distance from the cabinet.  Is the quiet line test silent?  If not you need to report a phone fault to 151. Once fixed and a DLM reset by engineer should bring your connection speed nearer your attainable speed.  If your connection then is stable you would get a boost from G.INP which would drop noise margin to about 3db and give you a connection speed in excess of 10mb