cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrNikUK
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Issues via NTE5 (sorry for double post)

Hi All.

So i have a new broadband install, sadly only copper right now ... and the setup of the house would be a little like this.

1 x master socket with and old NTE5 faceplate (I think)

1 x Alarm system with inline microfilter

4 x telepone extension points (but only one used as phones are wireless and link up onver wireless)

My phone is connected with a filter attached.

My issue is when I connect the broadband to the master socket (see pic 1) the broadband works fine, but the alarms stops working (now disconnected to prove it wasnt the issue) and also the phone. However when I put the faceplate back on (see pic 2) the alarm comes back on, the phones start working but the broadband then wont connect.

As i said above, we thoughthe alarm was going to be the issue, so 1. put the inline filter on, still not working, so we 2. completely disconnected the alarm wiring and still not working 😞

I'm guessing the problem now must relate to the phone extensions in the house ? but with only one connected and with a filter ... I am a bit stumped !

PIC 1 - DSL working

Working

PIC 2 - Not working (obviously when plugged in!)

Not working

Any advice gratefully received.

Nik

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Issues via NTE5 (sorry for double post)

As your broadband works in the NTE5 test port (pic 1) , you have proved that whatever the issue is, that it's your own responsibility , and not Openreach or BT's.
Your master socket is an NTE5c ( AFAIK the current/latest type) , removing the consumer panel to expose the test port , disconnects all other sockets ( so obviously that's why the alarm if connected into an extension socket stops working)
Unfortunatley , reassembling the master socket ( to get the alarm connected) is messing up the broadband, presumably your extensions are incorrectly wired , or the alarm is incompatible with broadband, and with the socket assembled, this wiring error or incompatible device, stops the broadband from working, you will need to check the wiring is done correctly and that the alarm, if compatible with broadband on the same line, is connected correctly

DrNikUK
Message 3 of 5

OK - so with the alarm disconnected, we cut the cable .... it must be one of the phone lines ! I will start disconnecting the phone extensions and find the culprit !

Thanks for the reply

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

all the extension should be fed from the small clear box to left on pic 1 - appears only 2 wires connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DrNikUK
Message 5 of 5

And i think this could be the issue ... all the extensions come back to a junction box where they meet the alarm system and those 2 wires visible I'm guessing are the 2 out of the junction box (just discovered).
0 Ratings