Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ADM
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Broadband Issues

Hello everyone (again),

Thank you for such a great service in resolving a problem last year.

It appears that the problem may be an ongoing or related. Last issue post (https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Slow-Slow-Quick-no-slow/td-p/1044216)

The same thing happens each year at about the same time for the last 3 years. In fact the openreach engineer can remember most of the visits.

Early Septemeber I noticed the speed was dropping down and the phone line was getting noisy. Done all the checks and tests as have done before, change filter, socket front off etc. Contacted the BT call center to report a noisy line. They checked from their end and said nothing wrong, no fault but would work on it and get back to us the next day at an agreed time.

Next day I spoke to them again and was told they had done a 'forced reset' and that should fix it. I asked about the noisy line and again told that there is no fault. I explained about how many times and regularity of it happening. They looked in the records/logs and agreed that the service was not acceptable and was going to be upgraded to level 2? I was made aware that requesting an engineer may cost etc.

Openreach engineer arrives and I explain previous history and fixes. Including how the last time the master socket was replaced and we were swapped to another set of cores on the underground cable. He done the first round of tests and said "No Fault" but I have another test to do. This test showed that something was failing. He left and checked the two manholes/connection pits on the path outside. Came in done another test and said that he had checked the cable to the house and was OK. The cable from the manhole towards the exchange not good but cleaned up the cable joints. He also advised changing the plug in filter.

Less than 24hrs later the noise had returned and broadband would randomly drop out or when an incoming or outgoing call was made. I reported on line in the comments section to do with the job being completed. I followed it up with a phone call to the call center. Very helpful person who agreed the service was not acceptable and would push the job through. I was told that there was no fault on the line or noise!?!? but it was a broadband fault this time. An engineer would be sent but may cost etc.

The second Openreach engineer arrives and remembers the job from the year before (see above link) and the year before that. Commences with all the tests and inspected the cable joints. His tests showed that again something was failing, and to quote "that failed miserably". He checked the cable to the house, OK. Cable to second joint, fail. Second joint to exchange, OK. He looked in his records/computer and back to the first joint. Came back and explained that we were on the best pairs that are left, all the others had been used. The cable is very old and knackered. The only way to resolve the ongoing issues was to have the cable replaced. The problem being the cable being so old was not installed in any ducting so it would have to be dug up. He tried to make a phone call, many times to report the fact, completed his log, tried again, sent an email and said that fingers crossed the 'dig team' should be here in the next seven days. I was happy that at last the faulty cable was going to be replaced and looked forward to no more problems of noisy line and poor broadband each Sept/Oct. I decided to keep a note of the job number this time. VOL 051-************ date 8 Sept.

A week went by and out of the blue a third Openreach engineer turned up. I thought today was the day of the great fix, the cable replacement. He asked to come in and I looked puzzled. I thought okay he needs to come in and disconnect to save any damage from any tests when the new cable is installed? NO I was wrong! He reckoned we requested and engineers visit to sort out the noisy phone line and we were expecting him. I was not expecting an engineers visit as I had recieved no phone call, text or email to confirm a convenient day or time? I let him in to do his tests and explained it all, previous fixes each year, the two recent engineers visits and the 'knackered cable' location. He still did his checks, yes that 'something' was failing terribly! He checked the cable joints etc and explained that he was in agreement that all the cores had been used, we were on the best cores and the cable was indeed knackered. He explained that he should be able to pull in a new section of cable. I did tell him that there was no ducting. Lots of banging later her returned and agreed that there was not ducting as the cable was old and original. He did say that he noticed white spray paint that followed/marked out the route of the cable and that the dig team would be here soon.

Time has gone by, the phone line is quieter and the broadband has not dropped out as often but the speed it all over the place. I am only 560m from the exchange and direct connection. I used to get 18 to 19 Mbps and very happy! Now the very best is 14 to 15Mbps or as low as about 1Mbps. Even at 15Mbps is seems so very slow and pages time out before loading. I tend to use 'speedtest.net' as the BT and Wholesale seem to time out and test fails. I kept waiting hoping to see the works of the dig team and reliable and quiet connection.

I decided to track the fault as time was getting on. I seem to remember a statement about a fix within 3 days of reporting a fault? I know not a normal fault and scheduling with a dig team etc. So I checked up on the progress of the fault and hoped to see an update or expected completion date.

It appears that when I checked on the 24 Sept that Job VOL 051-************ was closed and classed as fixed. Okay, may be the managed to drag a new cable in as the old was pulled out? Possible? Hopeful! My broadband speed was up and down like a fiddlers elbow and the line noisy. This time there was no comment section to do with the job like last time.

Decided to ring the call center and hope to have some update about the closed job. I was hoping that it was closed as it goes to a different section? I explained what had happened. The person was not interested and insisted that I do all the tests, wireless, wired, new filter, remove socket cover etc. I explained what the engineer had reported and asked why the job was closed. Like a robot I got you need to do these tests again! In the end they decided to run the tests from their end. Surprise, no fault or noise on the line!?!? I had to insist that there was and it got like a pantomine senario. The person at the other end insisted that their tests were far superior than any carried out by the engineer! Yet the engineers had explained that certain faults only show up when tested from the customers end. This went round and round and round again. I asked as to why the job was closed. I got what job? Round I went again and got there is no fault. I asked if they had access to the logs of faults and they replied yes. I suggested they took the time to go back at least three years and look at the pattern.

I was put on hold for what seemed like ages. They then agreed that yes they could see a long log of faults. Can you see what the engineers report and they agreed. Read the report that goes with VOL 051- ........................ and was put on hold again. They came back and said that their tests are better and no fault. If you can see the history and read the engineer report then you can answer why the Job VOL 051 has been closed when there is still a problem. I got that the job has been completed. I asked how they managed to carry out the work with out breaking concrete? All I got was that is up to Openreach and not us. I asked did it state that the cable had been replaced? What cable? They then denied ever having access to any fault logs or engineers report. At this point I had had enough and asked who do I complain to as this is getting beyond a joke. They told me they would put that report in. Pantomine time about who could put the complaint in. We was then referred to the supervisor.

The supervisor listened to the whole story. So can you tell me why Job VOL 051-............ is closed and fault still on line. She replied that they have nothing to do with Job VOL 051-................ and I would have to take that up with my ISP. Deep breath! You are my service provider! I am a BT customer! Then I was told that faults were nothing to do with them and to contact our ISP?!?! YOU ARE MY ISP! I AM A BT CUSTOMER!

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Broadband Issues

Can you post stats from your router and also run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test as this is only trst wholesale will recognise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ADM
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Many thanks for the quick reply and reminder to include router info and BTspeedtest results. I should be able to get the information from the router, will it be affected by the forced resets? I will do my best with the BT speed test and report back.

Just a quick update. Just used the link about looking for issues in the local area which took me to Report and track faults page. Despite call center insisting there is no fault or noise issue they have opened a Job VOL051-1742635937655 (26 Sept) and they are conducting further tests. It also states I will be contacted as to the outcome and or fix. We will see as I got no information before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Here are some other links which may give infirmation. http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ADM
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

I have just also done a quiet line test and there is noise on the line, as best as I can describe it a sort of shhhhh like an out of tune radio.

I have tried to get a speedtest result from two BT pages.

The first one http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ The download test gets to 2% and stops. After a while I get a message saying bt.wholesale.com is not responding.

The second one http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed The test starts but stops after about 4 seconds. After a while I get the message saying bt.com is not responding.

I have managed to get the information from my hub.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 22:52:45
Downstream:16.84 Mbps
Upstream:928 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up):10.0 dB / 8.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):9.8 dB / 6.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):626 / 2
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):29479 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):246 / 30
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

Is the short connection time due to manual reset or router dropping connection?  Your noise margin at 10db is higher than normal and if that ruced to normal 6db then that would increase your speed

run btspeedtester and post first set of stats. 

btspeedtester

0 Ratings
ADM
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

The router was reset/tested 26 Sept by the BT call center operator. I have not touched the router so I am assuming it has dropped out. That would tally with the time of the speed dropping from 19Mbps to about 14 to 15Mbps at best.

I clicked on the speedtest link in your post but again the test stops at 3% and said not responding. I have just tried again and managed to get a result and proceeded with the second test. Here are the results.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 5.52 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.52 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 15.22 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.74 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.74Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Is there any noise on quiet line test.

was btspeedtester done with wired connection as download speed is low for profile

are you connected to test socket?

0 Ratings
ADM
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

Yes there is still a hissing noise during the quiet line test. I did this test using a wired phone.

The speedtest is proving to be difficult to complete due to a message appearing that states website is not responding. I double checked all my connections and even swapped the cable from computer to hub and still have problems. It has taken me about 1.5 hours to get a test to complete?

Here are the test results from wired connection and test socket.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 6.46 Mbps

0 Mbps21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.46 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 15.22 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.73 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.73Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call