cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nomad2k3
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 23

Broadband Speeds still down by one third, line still unstable after enginneer visit, no explanation.

Hi again,

So the Engineer visit again tested my line and said everything was ok internally and the copper was excellent.
He said he visited the "cabnet" which he said has had a lot of problems lately but other than saying it could be that some other people have been put on my line and sharing it he gave no other explanation on what was wrong.

My connection had been stable for around 36 hours at the time of the visit (your information should show this, with speeds of around 6mb/s)
Since the visit the line has again dropped for no reason and the speed is now set at around 4mb/s

Upload speed has also decreased by around half.

The Engineer said he had done some tests although he did not explain what and what the results were.
He told me if the line dropped again to contact you again with the information.

Is it possible to have my line swapped at the exchange or Cabinet end to a lower user ratio to restore my speeds back to the usual 6MB/s?

As far as I am aware there is no reason why my connection is slowing down other than some sort of restriction, by which it seems to have been restricted by around one third of its normal speed.
A third loss of bandwidth is unacceptable for the monthly fee I am paying without any real reason or explanation for it.
The main reason I have stayed with BT is due to the better service we are supposed to receive along with lower contention ratios on the lines and quicker speeds.
Since resubscribing to the service in October I have received consistently lower speeds than the usual 6mb/s that I have enjoyed for several years.

How do we go about sorting this issue?
If the speed cannot be restored is it possible to get my subscription / contract nullified due to restriction of service?

So again to recap the problems, line is still unstable, speed decreased by around one third, ping is often 100ms+ rather than the usual <40ms.

Line has just "flipped" again

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.17 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.07 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

Connection Information
Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 00:28:55
Downstream    4,144 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Modulation    G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type    Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)    6.3 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    48.9 dB / 28.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    7.0 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)    0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    1483 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    21 / 1
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    166 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)    18 / 1

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Broadband Speeds still down by one third, line still unstable after enginneer visit, no explanat

testsocket2.jpgare you connected to the test socket ? this will eliminate any possible internal wiring / noise problems

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Re: Broadband Speeds still down by one third, line still unstable after enginneer visit, no explanat

your upload is correct for ADSLMAX 448K is the best you could achieve with your line attenuation I would expect around 5.3mb
0 Ratings
nomad2k3
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 23

That may be so, but I am not reaching these speeds, and since 2006 when ADSLMAX was enabled in my exchange I have been seeing speeds of 6mb/s + infact only a few weeks ago a mod from here sent an email confirming that was the speeds i should be seeing.
The whole reason for the engineer visits is that my line has become noisy seeing lots of errors and my speed is decreased by a third.
As stated in my Opening Post all my connections in my property are fine, 2 engineer visits state my line is in excellent condition "the copper" and the line noise test passed fine, they checked for interference and couldnt find any.

The last engineer suggested someone may be sharing my line at the cabinet and that could cause the drop in speed and make the connection unstable, infact he said he had tried to fix the line attenuation or alter it and he said "it looks like ive actually made it worse" which in itself means another drop in speeds, form around 45db to 49db.

All I want is my speed back so that i can enjoy the service i have been getting for years, and also enjoy the internet services such as streaming movies / TV / and online gaming services that cost me around £70 a month besides the £45 a month I pay to BT for my internet connection.

I know i may be coming across as an bit of an ass, but i'm really getting sick of the disconnections and slow speeds which means my TV and Movies services will not stream, my online games disconnect and so are basically unusable.

I was told by the engineer to post here again if the connection dropped out again.

Here I am.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

no one can share your line at the cabinet other wise your voice service would also be affected that was just an excuse i am afraid

yes if his work has increase your attenuation then that will affect your connection speed

as i asked are you connected to the test socket if not could you please connect there and repost your hub stats again

these links may also help http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

0 Ratings
nomad2k3
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 23

Yeah I am directly connected to the test socket.

I am unsure what you mean, My sister who lives in another town is also waiting to be connected to another persons line because there is no line to her property so they have to connect to next doors line.

not sure what it means, but i was also there when that engineer told her that too, because there is no line underground or from a pole they have to extend the neighbors line so they can attach to that and then put in an internal line from that.

Just repeating what ive been told.

as seen here http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/shared-telephone-line/td-p/367219

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

yes Openreach use a device called a DACS to share voice lines where there are not enough spare lines however lines on a DACS cannot be used for broadband
0 Ratings
nomad2k3
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 23

hmm well that seems even odder considering my sister is getting the line in specifically for broadband, so i guess its some other device they must be using to connect her.

thats besides the point anyways, im more concerned with my own connection atm.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

post back please when you have worked through the links
0 Ratings
nomad2k3
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 23

Router stats vanilla

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 10:15:06
Downstream    4,576 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Noise margin (Down/Up)    5.0 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    49.0 dB / 28.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    7.0 dBm / 1.8 dBm
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    35050 / 24
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    721 / 11
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    3990 / 6
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)    489 / 16

BT Speed Tester Results  vannila  @ 21:28 04/02/2013

Download Speed (Mbps): 3.47

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.36

Ping Latency (ms): 242.17

Quiet line test
Clear as a bell no hissing or crackling

Router stats connected at the service port

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line state    Connected
Connection time    0 days, 00:00:46
Downstream    4,800 Kbps
Upstream    448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI    0/38
Type    PPPoA
Noise margin (Down/Up)    6.7 dB / 25.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)    48.8 dB / 28.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)    7.4 dBm / 1.8 dBm
FEC Errors (Down/Up)    3 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)    2 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)    74 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)    2 / 0

BT Speed Tester Results  at service port @ 21:33 04/02/2013

Download Speed (Mbps): 4.12

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.37

Ping Latency (ms): 39.50

There are no interference sources near the router or master socket.

results of service i am getting lately from speedtest.net

1/21/2013 10:07 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     5.20 Mb/s     0.38 Mb/s     88 ms
1/21/2012 9:59 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     5.84 Mb/s                0.39 Mb/s                82 ms ---- normal speeds for connection.
1/21/2013 9:42 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     2.10 Mb/s     0.30 Mb/s     280 ms          
1/21/2013 9:38 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     1.73 Mb/s     0.27 Mb/s     348 ms     
1/21/2013 9:38 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     3.95 Mb/s     0.35 Mb/s     59 ms
1/21/2013 9:34 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     2.42 Mb/s     0.31 Mb/s     62 ms
1/21/2013 9:24 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     1.15 Mb/s     0.36 Mb/s     167 ms
1/21/2013 9:09 PM GMT     86.140.169.131     0.95 Mb/s     0.28 Mb/s     359 ms    

0 Ratings