Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alphasquad11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Broadband Speeds

Hi,

I brought the package of upto 16mb speed. Whilst the engineer was setting it up he mentioned it was capped at 3mb. He made the nessesary phone call and it should start picking up.

It has been a number of days now and i have not experienced any speed increase from the installation day (around 2.2mb dwnload)

As BT has been responsible for serveral mistakes in my setup and billing already I wonder if they are still caping my broadband speed.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband Speeds

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete phone number before posting 
https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
alphasquad11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I know its been a while but it has come to the point where I should start chasing this again. There is no change in the speed I am recieving. 

I am a little confussed with the top paragraph and the instructions. I understand basics but unable to follow all the way.

I have HUB 4 and was unable to find the 2 lines together when hub last connected to internet. 

Find below the results for the other tests.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 1.52 Mbps

0 Mbps4 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.52 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 2.82 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.28 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.28Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

I am connected directly to the master socket via a filter.

With all this in mind, when I first set up my connection the 2nd engineer came out to sort my broadband connection (1st engineer didnt connect the broadband wire back in the exchange) he did his speed test, came up around 3mbps. He rang up someone at BT to say the connection was ready. He then went on the explain that untill the connection is ready, they stick a limit (around 3mbp) on the speed going through the line. He then said it should increase in speed once they have unrestricted the line. 

If this is true I strongly believe that my line has that restriction still in place, causing there to be the obvious slow broadband speeds. 

I copied the following text from the engineers email conversation.

''You should hopefully see an increase in speed also.  If you don’t, obviously contact BT Broadband and tell them that you are paying for an ‘upto’ 16mbps broadband connection and they will do the necessary work.''

Regards

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

The 2 lines should look like

19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Your profile is 2.82mb so your connection speed must be over 3mb which is good when you look at the estimate you posted

was btspeedtester done wired or wireless?

do you have extension sockets in other rooms?  If so have you tried the test socket instead of the master?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
alphasquad11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

21:06:23, 03 Dec.( 86.160000) DSL noise margin: 13.00 dB upstream, 6.30 dB downstream
21:06:23, 03 Dec.( 86.000000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 3232 Kbps downstream

All Tests were done wired. I have extension sockets in other rooms. I used the test socket for connection tests back when I first started the post on here. Is it worth me doing it again? 

''Your profile is 2.82mb so your connection speed must be over 3mb which is good when you look at the estimate you posted''

Above are you saying my speed is almost the max it can go? This isnt an area im clued up on. 

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Your estimate was 1-3.5mb with likely speed of 2mb. You have 3.2mb connection speed with noise margin of 6.3db which is about normal which leaves little scope for any increase

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 7 of 12

If you could get an invite from the mods you could ask them to see if they can get you moved to ADSL2.  According to your ADSL stats that COULD increase your download speed by ~1Mbps and will probably nearly double your upload speed

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I would doubt a cange to adsl2 would increase speed and very much doubt by 1mb .  it would help upstream but 21CN is more aggressive on line noise which may be a problem on a long line causing drops in connection

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Hi imjolly,

I did say COULD not would.  Just going by the OP's ADSL stats.  As you know at the slow speeds some of us get as the saying goes "Every little helps".  Just making the OP aware that there is an option.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
alphasquad11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

true every little helps. so whats the verdict? how does someone go about getting ADSL2 set up?
0 Ratings