cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WingfieldH
Message 1 of 12

Broadband Very Slow (+ Superfast Cornwall disappointment)

So I've been very dissappointed with how BT has kept me informed for a long time.  I've been promised that BT infinity will be avaliable in my area for over 2 years now (as part of the superfast Cornwall scheme) however I have been dissappointed month after month.  However, this has been just about barable, until now.  for the last few days, between 22:00 and 00:00 my internet has gone from 3mbps to 1mbps.

The 3mbps was already a disgrace in my opinion although I could just about live with it, but now, I can't actually use the internet at the times I stated.  I would try phoning BT but I am not the actual bill payer so I have to get another member of the household to phone (who has considerably less knowledge in the field than myself).  That's why I've turned to these forums for advice.  Could it be a cap? a damaged cable perhaps? 

In my ideal scenario, I'd like the speed improved back to 3mbps at these times as it's the only recreational time I seem to have and being a tech fanatic, it's rather impossible to kick back after a long day's work when using the internet is out of the question (although in an even more ideal scenario, I'd like BT infinity at last so i'm not part of the 5% of cornwall still without such technology).  

UPDATE: So I've just checked my cabinet number and it's number 46 for Redruth.  Can anyone from BT please give me any info on when there's going to be an upgrade for that cabinet? 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband Very Slow (+ Superfast Cornwall disappointment)

Hi WingfieldH

Sorry to hear that your  having issues with your BT Retail services.

Firstly you ADSL service.

You will either be on the ADSLMax (upto 8mbps) service or if your exchange has been BTw 21cn upgraded you maybe on the ADSL2/2+ (upto 12/20mbps) service depending on your line quality and length.

However these upto speeds may not be the speeds you will get as ADSL broadband connections are very dependent on the distance from your property to the exchange and the quality of your line. The further away you are from your local exchange the slower your broadband speed will be.

To enable the community to help you please see the advice below:

Please see Keith's help guide here: Helping forum members to help you, it will go through some checks that are needed for us to help you.

1) Where is your broadband currently connected to the phone line? eg BTNTE5 or Openreach pre-filtered master socket, TEST socket, slave/extension socket or are you using a extension phone lead

2) is there any noise on your line. dial 17070 option2 ,called quite line test, from landline phone. should be silent but slight hum normal on cordless phone.

If there is any noise on your line such as crackling, distictive noise when the phone is connected to the TEST socket and doing the quiet line test then you need to report a line fault to BT Retail by dailling 151. Once the crackling or disticive noise has gone then your broadband should slowly recover.

3) please post adsl line statistics 

4) Can you please run a BT speed test (including IP Profile) http://speedtest.btwholesale.com (not beta version)[Best done with a wired, Ethernet, connection] After Quick Test is done you need to click "Further Diagnostics" to get IP Profile.

ADSL Line Statistic Help:

If you have a BT Home Hub like the one below...

Then:

1) Go to http://192.168.1.254 or http://bthomehub.home

2) click Settings

3) Click Advanced Settings

4) Click Broadband

5) Click Connection or sometimes called ADSL (see picture Below)

adslconnection.png

The direct Address is http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9116 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 1.3)

or http://bthomehub.home/index.cgi?active_page=9118 (for bthomehub3.A firmware ending in 94.1.11)

You will need to copy and past all the adsl line statistics ( Including HEC, CRC and FEC errors). You may need to click " More Details"

If you have a HomeHub 4 then the majority of the ADSL Stats shown in the previous Hubs will not be there.

for HH4 users you can go to hub manager then select troubleshooting then logs and are look for 2 entries together which will show theconnection speed and noise margin for when your HH4 last sycned with the exchange.

There are more useful links on Keith's website here: If you have an ADSL connection, please select this link

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 12

WingfieldH,

Secondly your question regarding fibre broadband such as BT Infinity

BT Infinity is just BT Retail's brand name for their FTTC and FTTP fibre broadband service/product.

The Superfast Cornwall Fibre Broadband BDUK programme is being rolled out, done and managed by Cornwall Council & the Cornwall Development Company in partnership with Openreach and the EU for ALL ISPs/CPs so BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP whom operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get fibre broadband (FTTC or FTTP or equivalent) as that is up-to Cornwall Council & the Cornwall Development Company and Openreach.

FTTC fibre broadband such as BT Infinity (upto 80mbps) needs your street cabinet (pcp) to be upgraded with a FTTC (Dslam) cabinet as well as your local exchange to be Fibre enabled before you can get fibre broadband.

Not all the cabinets in a FTTC fibre enabled exchange area will be upgraded, so some areas in that exchange area will be unable to get fibre broadband at this current time.

What does it say on the  BT Wholesale Database for your landline number?

Post the results in a new post, though remember to edit out your landline number.

Click here to see what your looking for in the BT Wholesale Database

Looking at the rollout stats for the Redruth exchange, the current superfast broadband coverage is at around 95%. There is also more forecasted deployment of superfast fibre broadband between May 2014 and September 2014.

You can try contacting Superfast Cornwall BDUK programme via info@superfastcornwall.org with your landline number, address and exchange to see if they have any more information regarding whether you are/will be in a NGA area or to see if your property will be in scope of the Superfast Cornwall BDUK programme.

It may take a week+ or so to get a reply.

**The Commercial Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs. The BDUK fibre broadband schemes are managed by Openreach along with your local authority.BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
WingfieldH
Message 4 of 12

Hi, thanks for a reply.  So I've looked at the line between the socket (which I believe is an openreach installed master socket) and the router/modem and everything seems fine.  There is no buzz in the phone line and wireless data transfers between devices on the network are absolutely fine.  I know that my average speed test is around 3mbps during the day/peak times but with this new problem, they're at about 1mbps.  I did the speed test using the BT wholesale tester as you linked and it's showing up fairly normal now (2.86mbps down, 0.35mbps up and 39.50ms latency).  

I'm not sure what the deal is but if it continues over the weekend, I'll phone BT just to check (unless there's an outstanding problem I'm not noticing).  

Regarding infinity installation, apollogies, I didn't fully realise that BT weren't responsible for the installation of fibre optic cables.  You can understand my confusion however as openreach work closely with BT and whenever we've discussed anything to do with fibre-optic cables, we've usually spoken to someone from BT.  Again, sorry for the confusion on my end.  I've emailed the email address for Superfast Cornwall and i'll update when I get a reply.  I checked my exchange and it's not been upgraded so I'll have to do some more digging to find out more from openreach and those who run superfast Cornwall.  

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 12

No problem WingfieldH,

If your adsl speeds drop again you can post the stats and info here and the community will be able to help you. If the community can't do much to help you, the forum Mods (BTCare Team) will be able to sort things out.

As to the rollout of fibre, the I would email and ask superfast Cornwall regarding if your street/village is in a NGA (Next Generation Access area) and to see if you are within scope of the BDUK fibre rollout scheme. Openreach (who have won the BDUK contracts) can't be contacted by end-users (ie you or me) as they only talk to ISPs/CPs and Wholesalers.

Hope that all makes sense

Try a Search
0 Ratings
jamie398
Message 6 of 12

WingfieldH, have you been upgraded yet?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@jamie398 wrote:

WingfieldH, have you been upgraded yet?

Not been back to forum since last post in may 2014

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TheOggy
Message 8 of 12

Hi, I've been in contact with Superfast Cornwall to query why we are unable to get superfast broadband while all the properties around me can.

Apparently cabinet 46 will not be upgraded during this project, but has been identified as one to enable during the next project which is anticipated to to begin towards Autumn of this year (2015)!

WingfieldH,
Can I ask what part of Redruth you are in?

Oggy
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

@TheOggy wrote:
Hi, I've been in contact with Superfast Cornwall to query why we are unable to get superfast broadband while all the properties around me can.

Apparently cabinet 46 will not be upgraded during this project, but has been identified as one to enable during the next project which is anticipated to to begin towards Autumn of this year (2015)!

WingfieldH,
Can I ask what part of Redruth you are in?

Oggy

as I replied before WingfieldH has not signed inot forum since may 2014

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TheOggy
Message 10 of 12

That doesn't mean he / she won't be back or that someone else won't find the post useful.

Maybe they're still trying to load the page!
0 Ratings