Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 1 of 40

Broadband already working?

Hi, 

so this morning the bt home hub 4 arrived in the mail. Today is also activation day and day that engineer is supposed to visit the home to install a new phone line (old phone line was disconnected by other providor)

However the hub went straight to a blue light, and i can go online. Speed ATM is less than i had hoped, 

ADSL Line Status Connection Information  Line state: Connection time: Downstream: Upstream:
Connected  
0 days,00:20:12  
5120 kbps 
448 kbps

Is that normal? Was told the line can support 7mb down on bt wholesale. Also would engineer still come? From email from bt:

If you can't make an appointmentPlease call us on 0800 800 150 as soon as you can to rearrange. The sooner you let us know, the more likely it is we'll be able to help another customer by offering them your slot. We'll then arrange a new one for you.

What will your engineer do for you?
  • Phone line: They'll connect your phone line and put the socket in the best place they can for you.

They'll also be able to answer any questions you might have about any of this, so please speak to them while they're with you – it's easier than calling us after they've gone.

I'm suprised its working at all ATM... and it's also in a dodgy phone extension socket. Had the router online for about 20 minutes only. 
0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 40

Re: Broadband already working?

Although the line has been "disconnected" by the old supplier it obviously still runs from the house to the exchangw.

An exchange engineer may have already picked up the job to connect your line within the exchange.

If you've an engineer appointment booked then I'd expect one to still turn up and as above, move the socket if you want it moved.

The "dodge extension socket" will be the reason for the lower than expected speed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 3 of 40

seems engineer will still come as ive just been told the name by BT of the peson.

I thought move master socket is something that one normally has to pay over 100 quid for. This engineer visit is like 35 quid and had to pay for it when sign up for broadband. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 40

You'll need to speak to the engineer when they arrive but just explain you were under the impression a new socket was needed and as such you'd like it somewhere else (that's if you do).
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 5 of 40

Engineer came and left. Installed 5c mastersocket with mk4 faceplate in living room by crimp to old master socket. They didn't have to add any wiring as a bt cable was already running outside the house. 

Said that there is a grounding somewhere external to the house, so underground engineer is being called out. Internet working though but 'not up to our standards of line quality' yet. 

Just hope all the messing around wont mean slower speeds forever, as the router is on now, and DLM will be doing its thing. One the ground issue is fixed, can DLM be run again so it syncs at higher speeds?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 40

Yes if there's a fault found DLM can easily be reset.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 40

The DLM runs automatically 24/7 on every line and providing you maintain a stable connection the DLM will do its job automatically given time
0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 8 of 40

Hoping openreach underground ppl do some sort of magic... getting half the down speed as was hoping for. 

Is this from the event log useful?

09:39:23, 13 Dec.DSL Link Up: Down Rate=5120Kbps, Up Rate=448Kbps; SNR Margin Down=6.0dB, Up=19.0dB
09:39:17, 13 Dec.5G WiFi scan(Reason:boot)
09:39:10, 13 Dec.System up

Bt wholesale and speedtest.net both show me getting 3.4 mb down speed. Bt whoesale adsl checker showed 8mb max down when i ordered.

Am confused with how the phone line enteres the property.. it goes in where the old master socket was, then from there along the outside of the house to the living room where the new master socket is (used to be an extension socket). No new cables were laid by the engineer though... just a gell crimp inside the old master socket somehow magically made it possible to move the master socket to the living room where the extension was. A more simple setup would have = peace of mind as dont want internal weird wiring setup to slow it down. But the engineer assured me this isn't the case, and did line test at new and old master socket and found the same 'unacceptable' quality.

Also where the line enters the living room, it goes to a small box... then through a couple metres extenstion wire into new master socket. The upstairs home also has a wire going into that box. It's the size of a match box. So it seems im sharing the line with the neighbour.. would that slow it down?

That's top down floor plan... line enters from outside underground into the red room. That green dot in red room is old master socket. Inside gell crimp, then it goes back outside the house, along the outside into the blue room where it goes into a small box, then small length of telephone extention cable into new master socket. The cable entering red room is white... cable running outside along wall of home is black. Maybe i think too much about it, but every mb matters when ur getting 3.4 down speed.

1111.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 40

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com show for your line?
0 Ratings
baobeiiiii
Contributor
Message 10 of 40

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

0 Ratings