Every day at about 5:35pm my broadband connection slows down to a point where it is unusable. The connection does not drop but I struggle to even browse web pages or run a speed test. This lasts for about 30 minutes and then speed returns to normal. It is the same whether I am using a wired or wireless connection. I can still connect to other devices on my internal network.
Any ideas on what is causing this frustrating problem?
Here is the help desk page from my home hub 4 during the outage.
1. Product Name: HomeHub4
2. Serial number: +076281+1640008129
3. Firmware version: v0.07.04.01235-BT (Type B) Last updated 9/3/2017
4. Board version: 01B
5. DSL uptime: 29 days, 16:41:36
6. Data Rate: 448 / 6880
7. Maximum Data Rate: 1336 / 7660
8. Noise Margin: 28.0 / 6.9
9. Line Attenuation: 28.0 / 39.0
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 39.0
11. Data sent/received: 36.3 GB / 191.0 GB
12. Broadband username: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. BT Wi-fi: Yes
15. 2.4GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only
17. 2.4GHz wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
19. 5GHz wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n (up to 300 Mb/s))
20. 5GHz wireless security: WPA2 Only
21. 5GHz wireless channel: 48
22. Firewall: Default
24. VPI/VCI: 0/38
25. Modulation: G.992.1(DMT)
26. Latency type: Interleaved
27. Software variant: -
28. Boot loader: 0.5.0-BT (Wed Nov 12 11:47:59 2014)
stats look fine and good stable connection if always about same time do you have something in your home that starts about that time that could cause interference? do you have a backup/upload scheduled to run about that time
No have already checked that nothing is set to start up at that time. There are no scheduled backups
can you enter your phone number and post results remember to delete number http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
You have a very good connection compared to the checker estimate
certainly the problem for 30min sounds like something local as if something is using the bandwidth for 30 min
I cannot find anywhere on the router that displays data throughput rate in real time.
Is there anywhere to see this to check if data is actively being up or downloaded?
There is nowhere apart from data usage in stats. Unfortunately the good program routerstats does not work with hh4
The BT Checker is pants when it comes to ADSL Max estimates. The Attenuation says you should get about 7 Meg, which you are.