Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sal1234
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband disconnected/phone line issues

Hello,

My BT service was activated on the 25th of August and everything went fine. 6 days later on the 31st all of a sudden the light on my hub started flashing purple and I lost all connectivity. I ran BT's broadband troubleshooter and that reported that there was an issue with the phone line near my home and that I could submit a fault report. I submitted the fault report immiedately and was told that an engineer was not needed at this stage and the issue should be repaired by 02/09/17 5pm which is today. Between then and now i've received no updates on the fault and checking the fault tracker shows absolutely no progress. I even spoke to some over online chat amd they confirmed that it should be sorted by today. I am very fustrated by this and I am thinking of cancelling my service as I require internet urgently and have been left in dark for 3 days. Can a forum mod please check the fault report and tell me if anything has been done to try and repair the issue? A simple yes or no will do. Fault number is **Edited**. Like I said just a simple yes or no, i don't want to wait 3 days for a mod to try and help fix things as I'm not going on for another 3 days without broadband. My hub configuration page is also showing broadband as disconnected. In case anyone is wondering here is what i've done so far.

Power off the hub and restart after 5 mins
Plug the microfilter and cables in to the test socket
Plug the phone line directly in to the master socket

One thing I'm yet to do is a factory reset but somehow I don't think that will help. Like the fault said the issue is near my house not in it which I can only assume is the exchange cabinet which is about 50 yards to the left of my front door.

What I find funny and a bit strange is I've this phone line for 2 years under Sky and never had an issue and 6 days after BT take over there's now a problem? Something doesn't seem right.

If this is not sorted by the provided time ( 5 pm today ) then its byebye BT. Unacceptable is what this is.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband disconnected/phone line issues

Is there any dial tone on your phone?

If not, then is possible Openreach have a line fault, and would be dealing with it. It could be cable damage affecting multiple customers.

Cancelling would not help, apart from the long delay in the process of ceasing and re-providing, the line fault would still be there.

0 Ratings
Sal1234
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi Keith,

No dial tone at all
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@Sal1234 wrote:
Hi Keith,

No dial tone at all

If you have checked for dial tone at the test socket

Test Socket.jpg

And there is still no dial tone, then its an external cable fault and Openreach will be looking at it. BT Retail will not be able to give you any updates until Openreach pass the information to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Sal1234
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Sorry Keith just saw the rest of your comment. In normal circumstances I would 100% agree with you however this time I'm planning on going with Virgin if I do end up cancelling, they don't use OpenReach, they do everything themselves. I'll give BT/OR a bit longer then just in case there is an issue on their side. The agent on the online chat did say its just me though.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Probably a disconnection at the cabinet or DP, should be easy for Openreach to find, if you reported it as a phone fault.

ELFs (Early Life Failures) do happen, but they are usually dealt with very promptly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

it will still take time for virgin to provide service by which time Openreach should have resolved your line fault best just to wait
0 Ratings