cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drivenmad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Broadband disconnects when phone rings

I have exactly the same problem. You don't happen to live in Essex do you? Since the 1st May my connection has behaved exactly the same. Line tests haven't identified anything (except the line quality tonight didn't even allow the online tests to run) and broadband drops out when calls come in - most of the time but like your issue it is intermitant. I've had one engineer out and he found nothing. BT only want to send me new hubs (I have five on my table here). I've even taken the opportunity to run differents phones and various routers off a UPS plugged directly into the Openreach socket (I have no extensions) with the house power off to demonstrate the issue isn't in my property.

If you solve your issue please post it here - I'm tearing my hair out as I work from home - I lost two days the previous week to this issue. 😞

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Broadband disconnects when phone rings

Hi @drivenmad I have moved your post to create your own thread as that's the best thing to do.

The community will be along shorty to provide any help they can with this issue.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter to elinimate your setup, the faceplate and your internal wiring

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
drivenmad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 25

Thanks for your reply.

Speeds from the wholesale speed test:

Down: 19.75
Up: 0.75
Latency: 34.63

I'm not using the test port but have no extensions. Will however remove and try filters this evening.

The quiet line test seemed relatively quiet but I did note occasional light clicks preceding white noise which rapidly faded away.

I'm currently on a HH4/ADSL.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 25

As you on adsl I have moved you thread to correct forum

if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
drivenmad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 25

Re: Broadband disconnects when phone rings, intermittent ADSL and irregular phone line white noise

So last Friday a second engineer was booked to visit but failed to show. Annoyingly, since I first reported broadband issues I've started to encounter static/white noise on the phone line intermittantly (just like the broadband problem). On Friday I assumed the engineer was doing something at the exchange as the ADSL connection was up and down (90% off which isn't conducive to my home business). Today we encountered the same issues in the afternoon - no broadband at all but phone line fine. I took this time to experiment again:

I took 5 routers (1 HH3, 3 HH4, 1 Netgear), 3 new wires, 2 filters and tried a mixture of combinations - so filter, no filter, test-port filter, test-port no filter. None of them wanted to connect during this time. All this running on a UPS with the mains power switched off. Then around 18:00 the router connected and is still going strong. No downtime, even when I make or receive a call. WTF.

I've reached the end of my teather with this. My business is suffering, I build websites for a living and I'm going mad. The line can be so bad that last week I couldn't even hear the person at the other end. I can't get a mobile signal here (reliably) so everything goes through the BT line.

I suspect the issue is a HR (high resistance) fault made worse by warmer days but don't feel BT are taking this seriously. I've probably called them something like 20 times. On Friday I was told an engineer would now come Monday but yesterday another call suggested that this 'might only happen if availability opens up'.

Mods - is there anything else I can do? I've looked at the lines coming to the house (there are two but we've only used one - the previous occupant had a business line too) and whilst old I can't see any obvious problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Re: Broadband disconnects when phone rings, intermittent ADSL and irregular phone line white noise

@drivenmad wrote:

(90% off which isn't conducive to my home business). My business is suffering, I build websites for a living and I'm going mad. The line can be so bad that last week I couldn't even hear the person at the other end. I can't get a mobile signal here (reliably) so everything goes through the BT line.

the previous occupant had a business line too.

Are you a business user?

If you are, then you need to post on the BT Business forum, as the mods here can only help residential users.

BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
drivenmad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

No, private for now. I'm moving to new offices in September so WFH for now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

@drivenmad wrote:

No, private for now. I'm moving to new offices in September so WFH for now.

You are not going to get the same level of service on a residential line, as business users get priority. I assume you are trying to run a business on a residential line, which its not its intended use.

There must be an issue on the external network which is provided and maintained by Openreach.

I will ask one of the moderators to see if they can help, but its likely to be a few days before they can look at it, and possibly ask Openreach to take another look.

0 Ratings
drivenmad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

Thanks Keith, that's very kind of you. 🙂

0 Ratings