Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twells
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband intermittently dropping, very slow speed 0.3Mb

Go to solution

My broadband has been dropping intermittently for the last 3 days, sometimes it's working for 2-3 minutes then drops, other times 20-30 minutes.

Also the speed has plumeted, I'm now getting 0.3-0.8Mb most of the time, I was getting 5-6Mb.

I have talked to BT help 3 times, and after a few changes the speed goes back to 5-6Mb, but after an hour or so it drops again.

I've also tried the online help, but these just take me round in a circle, any help would be appreciated!

BTHub4-9GSM

NTE5

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband intermittently dropping, very slow speed 0.3Mb

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router  if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
twells
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I had to go back a page of logs to find this:

07:29:53, 08 Jul.( 105.130000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
07:29:52, 08 Jul.( 104.660000) DSL line rate: 347 Kbps upstream, 919 Kbps downstream

Speedtester results:

downstream : .33

Upstream: .10

ping : 00

There is a filter plugged into the master socket.

This is the only phone socket.

I tried the line test on 17070, it was mostly quite, a little crackling now and again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

as you have an NTE5 can you conenct to test socket with new filter and then repost the new 2 lines of stats please

when connected to test socket try quiet line test again and see if still noise

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
twells
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

New figures from speedtest when plugged into test socket:

download : .46

upload : .19

ping 84.38

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1 to 3.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 2Up to 0.51 to 3.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 2.5Available
Fixed Rate0.5----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

I called 17070, option 2, using a wired phone plugged into the filter, which was plugged into the test socket, one call got hung up after a crackle, but the second call was quiet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

can you post the 2 lines of stats from your logs  this should be when you connected to test socket

0 Ratings
twells
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
10:40:17, 08 Jul.( 7908.310000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 6.00 dB downstream
10:40:16, 08 Jul.( 7907.820000) DSL line rate: 187 Kbps upstream, 495 Kbps downstream
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

stats are terrible

check for line noise again and if there report a phone fault to 151

twells
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you, would you mind briefly explaining what do these stats mean?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

you down conenction speed is 495kbps and up 187kbps with noise margin about normal 6db

the checker shows that an estimate for your line is 1.5/2mb down speed