Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 38

Re: Broadband is essentially unusable

Go to solution

@squidgey  You previously posted stats showing 25/16mb connection and an attainable of 50mb which was. Bottom end of your estimated speed

@MK9999 estimate is better than yours and there is no reason to suppose speed will be within estimate which is a major improvement to current adsl speed as @licquorice said

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MK9999
Beginner
Message 22 of 38

Go to solution

I'm sensing a general trend of people getting about 10% of the "headline" speed. I'll try a hub reset overnight.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 38

Go to solution

Sensing a general trend from one poster with a fault?  Most people get a higher speed than the checker estimates rather than lower and certainly not 10% of headline, you will certainly get at least 50M and very probably the full 80M if you wanted it.

0 Ratings
MK9999
Beginner
Message 24 of 38

Go to solution

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way - how does one go from what I have to the "Promised Land" of 50+Mbps?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 38

Go to solution

Call the options team on 0800 800030 and see what deal they will do. Or alternatively have a look to see if you have any offers in 'MyBT'. Not sure if the BT Plus deal will be available to you there, but if it is it will be £39.99/m for fibre broadband, line rental and evening and weekend calls for an 18 month contract.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 38

Go to solution

Perhaps your 'sensing' of 10% of headline speed is more to do with 'old' way speeds could be advertised, for a company to advertise 17Mb , 10% of their customers had to achieve at least that speed , but that method of advertising speed has been replaced by what that company's average customer gets, rather that the top 10%.
The estimate you posted was based either on your phone number or postcode, so is a pretty good indicator of the speed that that individual line or postcode would achieve , rather than (IMHO) a useless average of what the median speed of all the customer of an ISP gets

MK9999
Beginner
Message 27 of 38

Go to solution

I think it's more sensing that basically the service isn't fit for purpose and that BT are pretty much taking my money under false pretences. We're currently paying £53!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
squidgey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 38

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

@squidgey  You previously posted stats showing 25/16mb connection and an attainable of 50mb which was. Bottom end of your estimated speed

@MK9999 estimate is better than yours and there is no reason to suppose speed will be within estimate which is a major improvement to current adsl speed as @licquorice said

Yes, it's strange how one can get 50 - 60MB in the first year, BT are very proactive to make sure you are happy and then as soon as you sign an 18 month contract the speed plummets and BT don't seem to care any more. 

Since you seem to be calling me out as a liar, here's a screen shot of my current status page: 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 38

Go to solution

@squidgey 

these stats are terrible  can you post full stats but on your own thread to avoid hijacking ths one

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 38

Go to solution

@squidgey Nobody is calling you a liar. You have a fault on your line which is causing the low speeds and is not relevant to this thread.

0 Ratings