Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimrob84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Broadband issues

Hi

Since December 1st I’ve been having problems with my Broadband. It’s affecting or has affected all of my devices at one time or another:

• For a week I was receiving DNS error messages on various web browsers (chrome, fire fox, and internet explorer) and being timed out. Switching to google dns did nothing to improve the situation. This was also the case for my phone.

• Sky+ HD box struggles to load the on demand menu pages. Occasionally the pages load in full at the first time of asking, other times the pages either completely fail to load or the pages load without some of the images. Interestingly downloading content (films, tv) does not appear to be a problem.

• PS4 times out when trying to sign in to the PSN. Sometimes I can connect but an attempt to perform a simple connection test ends in failure. I’ve also found it nigh on impossible to use the PS4’s streaming apps.

Contacted BT to report the issue and they performed various speed and line tests and concluded that everything, at least from there end, was fine. They did however arrange for an engineer to make some checks at the exchange and to perform some checks on the wiring in the house. He found no problems. He did however switch my HH3 for a HH5 which at the very least seems to have slightly improved web browsing. Sadly this has done nothing to improve performance on either the sky box or PS4. The same problems that have plagued me for a week are still persisting.

I’ve noticed from looking around on the forums that many people, particularly those on the infinity board, are suffering from similar problems.  Am I correct in assuming that this problem is with BT?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Broadband issues

there are many posts recently about slow loading web pages and looks like it is a BT DNS problem although some have changed to google DNS with mixed results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jimrob84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Appreciate the response.

Yeah, I switched to Google DNS last week after the problems began on my computer, but it didn’t improve things. I did the same on PS4 and again there were no improvements.  

I’ve just had a look at the hub event logs after trying to access the Sky on demand menus on my box. No idea what this all means, I’m not massively tech savvy I’m afraid:

Hub log.jpg

It seems similar to other people's logs that I’ve seen on these boards over the past few days.

This is all pretty frustrating. Is BT working on a solution for all of this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

are you connectig to sky box wireless or wired

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jimrob84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

It's a wireless connection to the sky box and a wired connection to the PS4. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 24

have you tried using ethernet for sky connection maybe via powerline adapters?

0 Ratings
Jimrob84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

It doesn't seem to matter if I'm connecting wirelessly or wired. 

The BT engineer did a four minute stress test on my internet connection and found no faults. So from what I can gather the problem appears to be at BT's end not mine. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Jimrob84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 24

I'm not using HH4.

BT engineer switched my HH3 for a HH5 yesterday. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

same applies for the hub 5
0 Ratings