cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan2454
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Broadband keeps cutting out

I have been having this problem for about a month now and i think i found the problem, im pretty sure my lease time is set to only an hour.

This is what it says when i run ipconfig/all in cmd

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 03 May 2019 10:15:43
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 03 May 2019 11:15:43

If any more information is needed im happy to get it for you

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband keeps cutting out

if you are using a hub do you see any change in the light colour?  should be blue

are you dropping internet connection or is it wifi to your device that is dropping?  if you think it is lease time then increase duration to max   normally set to 1 day not 1 hour but increase to 21 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

DHCP.png

If set like picture 136 unique devices can connect to your hub per day and the next day ....

If set to 21 and you have an average of over 6 unique devices connect per day you will run out of addresses before they become available again after 21 days.

Except for 116 static ones top and bottom. Static addresses can be handy.

Any help?

Message 4 of 10

Morning @Ryan2454  and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting about the lease time. I think you've answered your own question but please try the advice posted by both @imjolly  and @DiggerOfTrenches  (thanks for posting the screen grab kudos to you ). Let me know if that sorts the problem.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I learnt the hard way.

I forgot to turn off default UPnP which IMO from a security point of is akin to using a sieve as an umbrella.

It left a trail of hole punching, rules, in my fire wall that are impossible to delete manually.

To remove them you have to hard reset the hub wiping everything. And set it all up again with UPnP turned off.

If you have already set it up I advise turning UPnP off. If everything still works leave it off.

Only turn it on if an app/device actually needs it to work.

If you have an xbox etc put your own rules/port foreward in the fire wall if possible instead of using UPnP.

I say possible because I have only seen an xbox etc in the movies, never touched one not even the ting on the end of a wire, so can't help with firewall/port forward rules.

I've blacklisted/throttled plenty of them though in the past. Returning bandwith to the bill payer.

Malware loves UPnP. Be safe.

0 Ratings
Ryan2454
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Thanks and morning to you too

Im just testing to see if it drops now i will let you know within the next few hours, i only set it to 3 days so i hope thats op as i dont want to run out of ip adresses 

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

3 days in my setup = 45+ per day to run out over 3 days. If you'r not running a pub this sounds spot on.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ryan2454
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

So its been a few hours and its still doing it every hour or so, what do i do now?

Edit: @imjolly no the hub is always blue and i think its everything thats on ipv4 so i dont know whats going on

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

If your hub light remains blue that suggests that internet connection is ok and it is a wireless problem you can always check by looking in hub stats for connection time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

@imjollywrote:
If your hub light remains blue that suggests that internet connection is ok and it is a wireless problem you can always check by looking in hub stats for connection time

@Ryan2454   'that suggests that internet connection is ok' also suggests it might not be.

@Ryan2454  Keep an open mind. Spent many hours chasing own tail thinking my network scks.

Edit. Mention to 0800 800 150 blue light stays on. Doomed to chase your own tail. Forever and repeat................

0 Ratings