cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Broadband keeps dropping despite engineer visits

Over the last three weeks I have had 4 openreach appointments because of broadband dropping. Latest was an engineer who spent 3 hours fixing various things this morning. Now, six hours later, my broadband is dropping again. Comes and goes like a yoyo. How long should I keep asking for my broadband to be fixed? Each time they assure me it really is fixed this time.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband keeps dropping despite engineer visits

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

I have no idea what you are saying.

Hub 2 is new, engineers have put in new phone/broadband sockets, checked all connections, renewed connectors on telegraph pole, renewed the connections in the street box, and a host of other things too technical for me to understand

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

I've had the same symptoms as you but with a more positive outcome.

For the past few weeks my fibre/ADSL link has suffered intermittent low speed operation, lowest download was 0.02Mbps (as measured by BT speed test at speedtest.btwholesale.com)!

Yesterday the BT technician called and after a couple of hours checking fibre>cabinet>copper>cabinet>copper>house but finding no connection problems, even after changing BT wall socket in house. He was disappointed that he couldn't identify any fault but just as he started to pack his tools, the line suffered noise and the signal speed tanked. He said he'd seen the wiring in the second cabinet was in order but an using older technology. So now myself and neighbours have updated wiring and my speed is back to specification.

I was lucky that my intermittent problem reappeared at the right time so that the technician could provide a fix. We had noticed some occasional noise on telephone calls but didn't link that to such catastrophic data interference. Maybe you have the same symptoms or you cold check by using the 'silent' call number posted by a previous respondent?

Anyway, hope you get a fix to your difficulties.

I'm certainly happy with the service I had from BT. I could see the technician took ownership of my problem was concerned to initially not provide a fix. We were both fortunate that the (probable) cause revealed itself before he left to give us both satisfaction.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@billhopkinson 

if you have SH2 then enter 192.168.1.254 into browser address bar and then when hub manager appears enter admin password from back of hub.  you should now be able to post the stats by going to advanced settings then technical log information (not the actual logs).  while in hub manager I would turn off smart setup as that causes many problems

to post stats use camera icon

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Sorry I missed your message.
Openreach sent an engineer. Monitored line and found no nothing after 1hr BUT as packing his test gear went bananas! Dry joint in cabinet affecting group of lines. Rewired group & problem solved. Now 50/15Mbps. Great support, happy punter.