Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
F430
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Broadband keeps dropping out, can only use it 10 minutes at a time

Greetings,

Between 6am and 10am on tuesday morning, I've had 4 broadband disconnects, then everything appeared to be fine, nothing annoying or concerning.
But from 4pm the same day, internet started getting really slow, pages took a while to load but still loaded. After that, about 40 minutes later, the internet dropped completely and broadband LED kept flashing orange.
Normally that would mean a new IP was being assigned, but the hub wasn't restarting and the LED was flashing for over 20 minutes.
One thing that I found odd was that the power adapter was rather hot, something that hasn't happened before.
As that felt quite wrong, I decided to risk it and unplug the modem from the mains in case it would become a fire hazard, left it to cool down for half hour, then plugged it back in.
Everything seemed fine and the internet was back, but only for 10 or so minutes.
Entire ordeal was repeated 2 more times, I used those 10 minute windows to run the broadband troubleshooter on BT's website but it couldn't finish due to internet dropping out.
Later on I tried the troubleshooter once again and fortunately it saved the fault report progress so I decided to finish it, but ultimately was given an error page along the lines of "something went wrong, please get in touch with us".
I tried it once more but to no avail.
I've checked the faults/outages/damages/repairs page but nothing was happening in my area.
Any quick phone line tests that I was able to complete gave no errors and any extensive/advanced tests would most likely fail the moment my broadband drops out.

As much as I'd love to theorise that this is entirely due to the home hub or its adapter causing overheating, I decided to seek help here, especially if it's something that I can fix myself, rather than spend an hour on the phone with support, which might cost me, since the hub phone will be useless in this scenario.
On top of that, I'm not sure what BT will want to do, but I'm certainly not immediately ready to pay £99 for an engineer visit plus however much it would cost to repair or replace the hub and/or its components, since only cables, exchanges and other BT-owned infrastructure is repaired at no cost to the client. At least as far as I'm aware.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out, can only use it 10 minutes at a time

You won't pay the fee if:
The fault is in BT’s network
If the fault is with your BT hub and it is in warranty (contract)
If the fault is with your BT TV box (in or out of warranty)
If you have the same fault within 28 days
In case of BT Infinity, if you call within 28 days after the install
In case of BT Infinity, if the Openreach Fibre modem needs replacing
They are registered as a Chronically Sick and Disabled Person
You will pay the fee if the fault's with:
Your home wiring past the main socket, for example, extensions
The way you've got your equipment connected
Interference from something, for example your phone, alarm system, micro-filter or broadband router
Damage to our network, for example cut wire, damage from building work, trees or pets, or damage to sockets
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call are you connected to the test socket using a new filter
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down.

This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You
0 Ratings
F430
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Not sure if it's necessary but here goes, I'll explain at the very end.

Going from top to bottom of your second post:

Quiet line test produces no noise and no audible interference of any kind; not using a socket/filter as this is a cordless hub phone that came with the hub

Not using home hub 4 but found the following:

Downstream      10,076 Kbps
Upstream         1,078 Kbps
Noise margin (Down/Up)	4.9 dB / 6.0 dB

DSL checker result:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145061568/placeholder/dsl_stats.png

Speedtest results:

page 1 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145061568/placeholder/speedtest1.png

page 2 - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/145061568/placeholder/speedtest2.png

Now, about what I said at the beginning.

2 minutes after I posted this thread at 5am, the internet died again.

Fair enough, that was predictable. Except then it actually came back without me having to unplug the modem for half hour and plugging it back in again. Broadband then remained active for next 6 hours, then the modem automatically restarted, unlike yesterday, where the broadband LED was flashing orange without the hub doing a full reboot.

Overall this is still odd to me, I never had 4 disconnects in the space of 2.5 hours, nevermind the connection having an impeccable timing and dropping after 10-12 minutes of the hub connecting to the internet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

which hub are you using is it a home hub 2 by any chance ?

0 Ratings
F430
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Yes, home hub 2.0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

there are a lot of posts now about the hub 2 as they are now very old and starting to fail

have you renewed your contract recently if not it would be worth while as you can reduce your costs and negotiate a new hub at the same time

try phoning customer options 0800 800 030 they are UK based and very helpful
0 Ratings
F430
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Might as well close this thread, as the hub did eventually die on the 5th of september, after seemingly working fine for about 6 days.
I bought a new modem and it's working fine now. I'm even managing speeds that are slightly faster than with the old HH 2.0
Still, thanks for any assistance you provided, but this was simply a matter of rather old hardware that would stop working in the end.
Plus, considering what other providers are giving in my area, I don't want to get bogged down with a contract, especially not a 12-18 months one.
0 Ratings