cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Broadband miserable speed

I am so disappointed with the speed of my broadband approx 3.5 ghz on a good day. Not able to stream netflix,causes so many heated debates in my home it is untrue. I there anything that can be done to improve this after all it is 2020.

Thinking of canceling landline and getting a data box. Any suggestions.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Broadband miserable speed

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number   https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

can you post connection stats from your router/hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
T

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Left in JumperObserved SpeedsVDSLADSLOther Offerings

Availability Date

Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)8.24.51.20.83.3AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)7.94.31.20.63.1AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3.5--2 to 5.5Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 3.5Up to 0.52 to 5.5Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 2--1.5 to 5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Fixed Rate1----Available---- 
Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps)--4.29     
Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps)--0.45     
Observed Date--2019-09-29     
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateO      
Last Test Date09-12-2019      
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

from dsl checker you are far to far from your street cabinet to get a much faster speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Thank you for your help but I already know the facts as I have lived here for a very long time. My question is what can be done to improve my speed or at least stabilise it as it just keeps dropping out all the time not allowing me to stream anything. The nearest fibre cabinet is approx 1.5 to 2.0 miles away. From there it is copper if I am lucky, could even be aluminum do you think. I just need someone to tweak it now and again to give me a more stable reception. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

If the line is dropping out, then its most likely going to be caused by noise, or a high resistance connection.

You should be able to hear any noise on the phone, and you may find intermittent crackling noises which will cause dropout.

Which BT home hub are you using?

Are you actually on ADSL or are you on VDSL, as you have posted on the ADSL board?

If you are on VDSL, then you may find ADSL more stable, as it uses a narrower bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

your connection hub stats would help  which version of hub do you have?

from checker you have a 4.29mb down and 0.45mb up suggesting you are still on adsl and not fibre FTTC

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Hi thanks again for the reply I use the home hub sent to me by B.T. it's a 4.0 type B Not sure how to confirm it but I think it's ADSL. How do I check? Phone line seems clear line test by B.T. confirmed it was O.K.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@Holmsey wrote:

Hi thanks again for the reply I use the home hub sent to me by B.T. it's a 4.0 type B Not sure how to confirm it but I think it's ADSL. How do I check? Phone line seems clear line test by B.T. confirmed it was O.K.

Then you are on ADSL, unless you also have white Openreach modem.

I assume you have tried the quiet line test using a phone, as a BT line test will not show up noise?

It may be worth running the quiet line test a few times, especially when you start getting disconnects, as it may be an intermittent noise fault.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Hi I will wait until it drops out and try the line. Did notice a couple of times three days ago the phone line went dead but B.T. tested the line and said it was O.K. but there had been some work being done by them on that day so I'm unsure as to whether this had something to do with it. The other thing is I don't have an openreach modem. I have had so many problems over the years with phone connections and extensions that I got them to drill a hole through the wall and place a box which is connected straight to the hub. Thanks again for the replies.

0 Ratings