cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Broadband not suitable for purpose

We moved into our new home on Friday and the broadband service is not fit for purpose. Its sitting at 0.2 mbps or nothing at all.  

We had hoped to move in before Christmas so had ordered and got BT installed just before Christmas, the house has been lying empty so the sellers were happy to let us do that.

We only got moved in 2 days ago so the router has only just been turned on and they service has been utterly appalling since. 

My husband works from home but with this broadband service it will be impossible to do so. 

We are unable to watch TV, use laptops, tablets, gaming devices.!!

Our 2 children are also unable to do remote learning online. 

What can I do about this!?

Stacey 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Broadband not suitable for purpose

@staceyw82 

To see what speed you should be getting, enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Turn off smart setup in the hub manager

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

If you ordered a service for an address you hadn’t moved into at the time of the ‘activation’ then how do you know the service has actually been provided ?, normally ( AFAIK ) ordering service that probably doesn’t need an engineer visit , the work done outside of the property, you get a message along the lines of ‘ your line has now been provided, if it’s not working contact us and let us know ‘, that opportunity has passed so all you can now do is report a fault,

You should do some checks ( to remove the possibility of charges ) ...locate the master phone socket , expose the test port and plug a known working phone in, check for dialtone , dial 17070 ( if there is dialtone ) and confirm if your number is read out, it’s not unheard of for property’s to have more than one socket , and the new occupant plugs into the ‘wrong’ socket, that wouldn’t be your providers problem and would be a chargeable event if you requested Openreach to come out, so it is worth doing the required checks, but if you do the checks and the problem is external to the property, you will need your provider (BT given that you are posting here ) to get OR to visit.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Hi there thanks for the reply. I tried to add the screen shot but it says file is too large. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

 I unfortunately don't have a phone to check the dial tone. What information do you need from this page on hub? What should I select now?

**Edited**

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

We were able to access the property to let engineer in to install.  I unfortunately don't have a phone to check the dialtone

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Checking for a dial tone is the most basic test as without the dial tone you are unlikely to get broadband conenction. Can you borrow a phone to test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

the stats are found by going to advance settings then technical log information and post the information you see

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

As its a home hub 4, then from the page you showed, i think you need to click on the 'troubleshooting' tab and post the results.

Just a thought, your using a home hub 4 ? thats a really old ADSL hub. Did you bring that from your old house ? You should have a new hub with your new connection.

What service have you paid for ?

0 Ratings