cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband or not?

Go to solution

Hi,

Im moving to a property that has no access to fibre broadband (rural). Theres no plans for fibre in the area. It does however have an old style router in the house so must have copper line broadband. Ive tried the postcode checker and it says no coverage.

Im currently staying with friends until moving date.

Im disabled and would definitely need internet, however, the only other option appears to be 4G but I would have to get a mast installed by EE and use a 4g router (EE are the only provider available). The data cost for this is 50 per month on a data only sim. This price will increase too annually. As im on benefits and dont have much of a choice to move to my new house are there any options available to me that are affordable. I realise I can apply for the really complex scheme where I can request a new connection. 

However ive also been scouring the internet for copper speeds which state on BT between 2 and 8 mb download (most say less than 2mb)

In my old property I had Home Essentials at £15 per month. As im on benefits due to my disability paying 50 pounds plus a month for a 4g signal and installation of a mast, im panicking that I wont be able to afford this.

Can anyone offer any advice as the Halo 3 plus cost is way too expensive for me. Also I dont want to not have access to internet for a year whilst various surveys, etc are done.

Thanks in advance.

BW

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband or not?

Go to solution

Enter your new address not post code and post results. This will show what is available to you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
I got a screenshot but it doesnt mean much to me..
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

bal75_0-1664898933731.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
It just seems alot of legwork to try and find if indeed the websites that say 8mb are ok and the ones that say 2mb and it doesnt really give any options or advice on what to do. People just say "use EE" or Satellite which is upwards of 50 quid a month. Satellite is actually 100 quid a month...
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You are connected direct to the exchange and no street cabinet.  You are obviously in a very small village in North West Scotland and 2mb appears to be the best speed you can get on broadband 

What is your mobile signal like  - any network?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Yeah. There’s apparently a good signal outdoors with EE only but chances are I will require a mast but it’s going to be expensive for data. 45 or 50 pounds a month. They have some masts due to them supplying the emergency services signal but other mobile providers are pretty much a no go due to signal issues.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
I found https://bidb.uk/ useful as it will overlay all the mobile networks coverage maps along with other alt networks etc that maybe available