cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marg0105
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Broadband poor speeds

I have no idea what sort of Broadband I have other than it's BT Infinity.  This was installed some years ago when the BT installer insisted it had to come into the sitting room and it is still there - next to the TV and the window. (He proudly told us that until a few weeks before he had been a plumber) I wasn't surprised as I now understand that is the worst place to put it.

Anyway to my problem, my PC is upstairs and served by a 'plug in device' using our electric circuit to connect to the hub.

There is a big difference in the speed between upstairs and down. (As tested by my smartphone.)

I've looked at the bt help pages and I'm mystified. I'd like better speeds up stairs but there are so many options to choose I'm scared I'll pick the wrong one.

Do I get a new more uptodate Hub?

Get a mini hub as suggested by a friend

Get a whole house system?

Obviously, I want the most cost effective system. Any comments advice would be most welcome

Thank you

PS all phone & TV services are with BT - Partner wants to move away from them but where to?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Broadband poor speeds

Welcome Marg ... sounds like you need a review of your broadband now.   🙂

Some Q's ...  do you have a filtered faceplate for both phone and broadband? ... or do you plug your phone into a filter?

Do you have telephone extensions, e.g a phone upstairs?

Sounds like you use the computer with a power adapter and ethernet cable?   (that's ok)

Try doing a test using this link, see what comes out, and we'll take it from there.  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

From the computer upstairs only ... not an iphone.

And yes ... a hub positioned by any TV is not good, especially if it's a plasma TV.

Post the results up if you can, pics allowed, phone number removed.

I'm sure my learned friends on here will help you with links to do stuff, I don't tend to collect them as I post rarely on here.

We'll get you sorted.   🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  this will give indication to what is available to you and speed range

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Marg0105
Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Thank you for your replies.

Filtered faceplate? There's a filter device  plugged into the phone socket that used to be the main phone socket (Hall) but not on the current 'main' phone socket which is 'conveniently' Smiley LOL also behind the TV There is no phone plugged into the Hall socket.

Yes, we have 3 phone extensions (just plugged into electric sockets) - all BT products.

Yes. I use the computer with power adapter

It will take a while for me to get an ethernet wire direct to my computer from the router and comply with all the requirements of the speed test.

I'll report back when I've done that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

if you are using a pwerline adapter for main pc that is ok just not wireless for running the test

so ethernet connection from pc to nearby powerline adapter and upstairs power line adapter has ethernet connection to hub - yes?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Marg0105
Contributor
Message 6 of 17

As requested availability check test.

I understand the need to connect pc direct to the hub via a cable before I do the speed test. Just need to find the cable and connect it! At the moment there is no wired connection between the hub and the pc apart from our electric circuit and the adapter. The adapter has all green lights so I assume it's OK.

Thank you for your time & trouble thus far - it is appreciated.

InkedBT Wholesale_LI.jpg

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 17

You can use the power adapters with an ethernet cable to test ... Also, if and when you do ... do the full test, including diagnostics test, as it should show the line profile as it stands.

Where you really need to be is here:

A filtered faceplate with both phone and broadband outlet.

That faceplate needs to be within ethernet cable range of hub/router and fairly close to your main computer (but you can extend your home network using good powerline adapters)

NO phone line extension wires ... so what you do is position your hub/ router at least 2 metres away from TV's and speakers. Downstairs if you wish ... use a powerline adapter to extend the network upstairs, and plug ethernet into it there, if it works for you.

You BT phone basestation can be plugged into main filtered socket downstairs, with wireless dect phones connecting with base, anywhere you like, plugged into mains chargers.  gottit?    🙂

We'll get to stats ... but chances are you may need an engineer, we'll see.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

which version of the BT hub do you have  HH5 or HH6 or possible a separate modem and a hh3/4

0 Ratings
Marg0105
Contributor
Message 9 of 17

It's an Hub 5 type A .

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

great

can you post the stats - go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk - post the stats

0 Ratings