Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pizza1talia
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Broadband ridiculously slow!

Hi there,

I have recently been having issues with my broadband and the bt support team identified that the problem lay with my hub, for which they sent a replacement. The new hub has been up and running for almost 2 days and whilst it has fixed connection issues I was having with my broadband, the download and upload speed is extremely slow. We are used to download speeds of around 5Mbps (on good days) with about 2-3Mbps as an average speed. However we have been recently recieving download speeds of 0.47 Mbps. This is ridiculously slow and means we struggle to load web pages and watch videos. The hub is currently plugged directly into the test socket. I have done a quite line test on a corded phone and there seems to be no issue. Also the internet speed coming from my nearest exchange server is around 0.5 Mbps when I am used to recieving speeds of up to 10Mbps (seen in previous tests). Could the connection speed be something on BT's end and if so how could this be resolved?

Many thanks!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Broadband ridiculously slow!

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

Enter your our phone number and post results remember to delete number. https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pizza1talia
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi imjolly,

Here are my adsl stats:

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:46:43
Downstream:574.3 Kbps
Upstream:781.2 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):14.8 dB / 9.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):31.4 dB / 18.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):504 / 8703
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 161

Here are the BTW Performance Test results:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.47 Mbps

0 Mbps0.5 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.47 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.51 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.61 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.61Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Here are the results from the ADSL checker:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number..... on Exchange.... is served by Cabinet 4

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 13--12 to 14Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 13Up to 112 to 14Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast------Available

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

has your hub been restarting a lot recently or have you been restarting it to try and increase the speed
0 Ratings
pizza1talia
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

No we have not, we were told to leave it on in the test socket by BT

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

i asked because your connection time is only 46 minutes
0 Ratings
pizza1talia
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Oh yes just seen that, the hub must have went down before I post the stats (we had a faulty phone hooked up to the same filter as the hub which seemed to knock the hub offline when it rang out). The old hub we had went down a lot and over the period of a week we must have had to reboot it over 20 times as the hub would freeze, disabling our internet connection. The new hub provided by BT seems fine.

Do you think the persistant reboots we had to do our old hub has affected the internet speed we are currently receiving?

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

the disconnection with old hub will certainly not have helped your conenction and are probably the cause of your slow connection speed

are you currently connected to the test socket with a new filter?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pizza1talia
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Yes I am connected to the test socket with a different filter that wasnt previously used.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Can you try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with a corded phone 

0 Ratings