cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Data
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Broadband signal keeps dropping after upgrade

Ok, I recently upgraded my broadband from BT Total Broadband to Unlimited Broadband extra, where I also upgrade from HH3 to HH4. Since the upgrade I have noticed that my signal bars have been dropping on my PC, iPad & PS3 every couple of minute from full 5 bars to 4. This was never a problem before. It just fluctuates all the time.

I have tried changing channels using the smart wireless function, but this hasnt solved it. 

The HH4 is in the exact location where my HH3 was, so shouldnt be the place of the hub causing the drops.

My knowledge is very limited on this subject, but  I have never had this problem before.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband signal keeps dropping after upgrade

a fluctuation of 5 to 4 bars should not cause a problem to your wireless devices.  if you change channel then you woul change to manual and select your preferred wifi channel.  if that is what you want then I would use inssider from metageek and that will show wifi ssids round about you and the free channels.. you can then select a free channel and change the channel in the hub and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Data
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply.

Yes its not a huge problem and doesnt seem to effect the speed, but I don't understand why it's started to do this since I upgraded just over a week ago. its not like it fluctuates every hour, or a couple times a day, its every couple of minutes.

Thanks,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Could you try a wired connection and see if that resolves the problem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

did you trty selecting manual and then a static wifi channel?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Data
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Connecting via an ethernet cable seems to be fine but i'd rather not use it that way as its in a compleley different room to my devices. I have tried changing to different channels manually, and that does not seem to resolve the continues dropping of connection strengh.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

did you try  downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

you could also try changing hub wifi from default b/g/n to just b/g unless all your devices are 'n' rated for wifi

0 Ratings