cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Broadband slow (0.16Mbps)

Hi.

Hoping someone can help.

On 17/12 my broadband dropped out. When it return it was unusable as download speeds had dropped to 0.16Mbps. I've done the usual tests to ensure that the modem/router cables etc are all working and have tried plugging things in to the test socket (with ADSL filter). Each time, it takes a few attempts to connect then, once connected it's slow.

One interesting observation was that unplugging the ethernet cable seemed to cause the connection to drop and reconnect. I left it for a while without anything plugged in (wireless access only) and still had the speed issue.

I have reported the fault to BT and diagnostics indicate that it is a fault on the line (noisy).

I am an IT worker, working from home so need a reliable/fast connection.

Checking today (18/12/2020) show the issue has not resolved so I contacted BT again. Their response is that they aim to resolve it by EOD on the 23rd but cannot give any updates on status. The were unable to provide any alternative option for providing a connection during the downtime. When I suggested that I could use my mobile phone as a 4G hotspot if they waived the 10GB data limit temporarily, they were unwilling to do so.

I also suggested that my IP profile might have been capped and enquired whether it could be manually reset rather than waiting they were also unwilling to help further.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might escalate this issue as my connection is crucial for my work and I cannot afford to have this level of downtime with no guarantee of resolution.

Happy to provide further info, stats etc if needed.

Many Thanks.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: Broadband slow (0.16Mbps)

@MarkyB916 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

If you have reported it as a noisy phone line, unable to make calls, then its normally foxed within three working days. If you just reported it as slow broadband, then its likely to take a bit longer, as it goes into a different queue. Landline faults are normally dealt with first.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 19

Can you post hub stats please

did you check phone line for noise by dialling 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

@MarkyB916wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might escalate this issue as my connection is crucial for my work and I cannot afford to have this level of downtime with no guarantee of resolution.

If you have an engineer booked already, you'll have to wait for Openreach to come and do the repair.
I'd suggest a Halo upgrade incase it happens again, you wouldn't be covered for an already reported fault.

If broadband is critical and you'll remain working from home, you could look at BT Business which has service level agreements for any loss, on a residential account you don't get the same terms.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I did do the noise test which checked out OK. I'm able to make calls so possibly being dealt with as slow broadband.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I did do the noise test which checked out OK. I'm able to make calls so possibly being dealt with as slow broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

@MarkyB916 wrote:

Hi.

Thanks for replying.

Can you post the connection information from your BT Home Hub please?

Hub Stats
The information contained within your router management pages can really help others diagnose technical issues. To post these stats, open up a web browser and type 192.168.1.254 or BThomehub.home. Navigate to the 'Troubleshooting' Tab and then click on 'Helpdesk', you will then need to enter the admin password which can be found on the sticker on the back of BT Home Hub 4 and 5. BT Home hub 3 will have the sticker on the underside of the router.

When using a Hub 3, you will see an option at the bottom right hand corner to select 'full details'. click on this, copy the info displayed and post the results. If using a BT Home Hub 4 or 5 navigate to 'Troubleshooting' then to 'Logs'. You will then find two lines which will state 'DSL noise margin' and 'DSL line rate', copy this info and include this in your post.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Not able to post stats at the moment as connection has gone completely now.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

@MarkyB916 wrote:

Not able to post stats at the moment as connection has gone completely now.

And is your phone line still quiet with no noise on it?

Are you using any form of powerline connectors, as they can interfere with broadband?

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

I do use powerline connectors and they have never caused any issues. However I did remove them from the network during diagnostics and still had connection issues.

My master socket is type 7.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings