Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 11

Broadband speed capped

I'm convinced my broadband connection is being capped. A few weeks ago, I was hitting a solid 18 Mbps on my download, however, recently I haven't been able to surpass 13 Mbps at all- it caps at 12.9 Mbps.

Nothing has changed on my end, yet BT did do some work in my area recently. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it. Is my connection being capped? Can it be fixed?

I've done all the basic steps for trying to fix this. Using a HH5 and testing on an Ethernet connection (WiFi is the same).
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Broadband speed capped

can you post stats from your hh5  troubleshooting then helpdesk

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 11

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:REDACTED
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 13/07/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:00:49
6. Data rate:1112 / 16581
7. Maximum data rate:22738 / 17356
8. Noise margin:6.5 / 10.4
9. Line attenuation:5.3 / 12.7
10. Signal attenuation:5.3 / 11.4
11. Data sent/received:80.5 MB / 2.3 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:No
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:REDACTED
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:REDACTED
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:34:8a:ae:da:87:9c
24. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
25. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
26. Latency type:Fast
27. Software variant:AA
28. Boot loader:1.0.0

Did a quiet line test and there is no crackling or static at all. Sounds fine.

The reason the uptime is so low is because of that line test. Otherwise, it was sitting on 6 days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

the quiet line test should not have caused your router to reset

have you tried connecting to test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection speed  by eliminating internal wiring  can you check if you connect to test socket that there is no dial tone at any extension socket whether in use or not

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 11

From that link, the results are attached.

Screenshot (79).png

Otherwise, the DSL cable is connected through a dual-socket filter. I can try switching to a single filter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

do you mean a socket like this  fibre SSFP.jpg

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11

Yes, although nothing is connected in the bottom input for me.

I have changed to a single filter by unscrewing the plate and connecting directly. However, this hasn't really changed the speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

you need to remove bottom section then remove the middle section (yellow arrow) and then you will be able to conenct to test socket with a filter ( black arrow) and see if that helps

test-socket-thumb.jpg

can you post new stats after connecting

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 11

Yup, I've done that. Hasn't really changed anything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

can you post the new stats from test socket please

0 Ratings