cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simon9999
Beginner
Message 11 of 27

Re: Broadband speed gone very slow after noisy line problem fixed

I've got 1571, so it wouldn't be able to ring for that long. Would re-phoning it a few times be ok?

I do actually have another router, an Netgear one (although its a few years old). I'd be happy to try it, but a bit wary too as it would obviously involve disconnecting the router again!

0 Ratings
simon9999
Beginner
Message 12 of 27

Actually I've just looked at my other router and the port to plug the internet in is a different size to the BT one, so I can't use it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 27

@simon9999 wrote:

Actually I've just looked at my other router and the port to plug the internet in is a different size to the BT one, so I can't use it.

If its an ADSL modem/router, it should be the same RJ11 lead.

0 Ratings
simon9999
Beginner
Message 14 of 27

Actually I don't think it is, sorry.

I remember now when I was using it years ago it was connected to a seperate ASDL modem (when I was using TalkTalk Broadband), and it says on the side of the box it needs a modem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 27

Its difficult to know what to suggest. If you ask BT for a replacement, then they would expect that you renew your contract, and pay the postage.

The other option would be to simply buy your own ADSL modem/router, and use that instead, but it would be a waste if the fault is still there.

You can buy a TP-LINK TD-W8960N for £18.43, which is likely to perform better than the HH2.

Are you using any BT Hub phones with your HH2?

0 Ratings
simon9999
Beginner
Message 16 of 27

No, I'm not using any phones on it.

Often when there are more than say 3 people using the internet at the same time, we often all lose our conection to the router (so we have to reset it), and have often wondered if we needed a new hub anyway to stop that. If it did I wouldn't mind getting a new hub even if it wasn't the current hub causing the slow internet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 27

Have you tried a full factory reset of the HH2?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

You could ask BT for a new HH4, as that seems to be the replacement for the HH2.

0 Ratings
simon9999
Beginner
Message 18 of 27

No, I haven't tried that. If the line disconnets again then I will.

Is it worth spending the extra money on the HH4 over a TP-LINK TD-W8960N?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 27

i would get tplink unless you can get the hh4 for free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 27

If you can convince BT support that the HH2 might be faulty then they may well send a replacement HH4 for free (you possibly paying p&p) without any need to re-contract the broadband.

Otherwise these are the rules/prices BT quote for upgrading to a newer HomeHub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35097/~/how-can-i-get-a-new-bt-home-hub%3F

0 Ratings