Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Warszawa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 37

Broadband speed irregularities

Go to solution

I can't seem to find an email address for BT so maybe someone here can shed some light. 

We've had an ADSL speed of 6.2mbps for a couple of years as the village patiently waits for fibre. Last week for a couple of days it jumped to over 8mbps and then for a day almost 10mbps! Finally an upgrade I thought! Thing is, during this time my router would randomly lose internet and I'd have to reset it. this happened a few times so I replaced it. Same thing happened so I phoned BT who did a line test that said everything was fine. A day or two later things settled down and we are now on a steady 5.6mbps with no disconnects, so I've actually taken a speed cut and wasted money on a router!

What the hell have they been getting up to and why is my connection capped at almost half of what it's capable of?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Broadband speed irregularities

Go to solution
Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You
This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Warszawa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution

I'm using a Netgear router now so can't access my ADSL Stats. Was just looking for theories really.

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 17.46.12.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution
The ADSL stats are still available on your netgear router please post them here
Warszawa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

A very faint continuous bakground buzz on the test line.

Is this any use?

I should point out I'm using an extension socket for the router as the master is in an inappropriate place (which should be fun when fibre arrives.)

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 18.40.23.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution

If you can hear noise/buzz on the line then before you report it to 151 I would check the quiet line test from test socket to make sure the noise is not caused by your internal wiring - as long as still there at test socket then you should no be charged for engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Warszawa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution
The master is the old type but I will try plugging the phone in there.

Regardless, everything is working. I was just curious as to why we temporarily got a speed boost.
0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

You should be syncing at 13 Meg, twice what you are. I think DLM has put you on a banded profile in response to noise on line.