Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: Broadband speed only 0 .8mb!!

Go to solution

with your attenuation I doubt you are going to get a download speed of 4.5mb - connection speed yes but download unlikely

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rosa
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Hi there again,  just to ask a quick question... is there anything anyone can do about my slow download speed then?? 

Are there any options I can offer to my prospective house buyer?  A new router?  Are BT obliged to offer anything to sort this issue? Will it help if I go with alternative provider?  Can I ask for a new phone line??  As you can see I'm desperate, it just seems so unfair that the sale of my house is being compromised by this.

Thanks in anticipation, Rosa

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution
The main problem is your distance from the exchange so unless you move your home closer to the exchange or exchange moves nearer you there is no way you are going to get 4.5mb download speed

Is your exchange upgraded for fibre? If not is there an expected date?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rosa
Beginner
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

Hummm I'm not sure about that.  I have requested infinity via the BT website, and it said it is not planned at the moment, which I suppose means that there is no expected date at present.

It looks like I'm stuck then.  Not happy 😞

I've just had a thought though......as I am at the end of the line from our exchange, is there any option of asking to be connected to the nearer exchange, which is only approx 2km away??  I've no idea why I am on this exchange anyway...we live on the border of 2 Counties, our phone number lies in one County, but postal code and address is in another!!  Can we ask to be changed to the nearer line, and correct County??  Does that ever happen? 

If it costs a grand then thats fine, in the big scale of selling a house....?  Any experiences of this happening?

Thank you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Rosa,

Unfortunately you will not be able to get your phone line re-routed to another exchange.

Even if re-routing your line to another exchange was possible, it would end up with you paying thousands and thousands.

Have you checked your local Authority's/ Government BDUK superfast broadband scheme to see if they have plans to upgrade your area in the future?

As already said your about 3.9Km away from your local exchange and you have a very good 4.4mbps sync rate and your unlikely to get any faster on a ADSLMax connection.

(The issue you have is just that your IP profile is low - possible due to disconnections/resyncs)

If the broadband speed is causing you issues with selling your property then maybe suggest an alternative broadband technology supplier such as Satellite broadband, WiMax broadband, 3G/4G mobile broadband

Hope that all makes sense and helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Rosa
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

Thank you for that.  I had not heard of this option for boardband.  I did try Sky last week as I was wondering if you could get it via satellite dish but they said they couldn't help as it was down to the phone line and not dish......  So there are companies out there.... thats a big help.  I will look into this, hopefully if my buyer is keen enough, they will consider this option.

0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Do you have Virgin cable in your area?  That might be faster.

I'm not sure if something could be achieved with a second phone line.  The simpler systems for two phone lines give you twice the aggregate capacity but still the same speed.  I'm not sure if you could get something cleverer to boost your actual speed using two phone lines. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

No problem Rosa.

If BT Wholesale and Openreach upgrade your exchange to the BTW 21cn Network which will then allow ADSL2/2then your line maybe able to achieve a slightly faster speed (downstream or upstream depending on distance and line quality).

You can have a look to see when and if your exchange will be upgraded to the BTw 21cn network here: https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Library/Network_Information/21CN_Broadband_Availibility/ind...

This BBC article has a brief explanation on several ways broadband can reach a property, some of the facts such as speeds are slightly out of date. Link to article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8069768.stm

1) Standard BT Broadband that uses the phone line all the way uses ADSL (G.DMT) and ADSL2/2+ (if BTw 21cn available)

2) BT Infinity uses FTTC fibre technology (VDSL/2) and FTTP fibre technology (if in a FTTP area)

There are also other methods of increasing the broadband speed such as Bonded lines and Leased lines though this can be very expensive.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution
From your attenuation even a move to 21CN is unlikely to get a download speed of 4.5mb

0 Ratings