Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rosa
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Broadband speed only 0 .8mb!!

Go to solution
Hi all. I'm trying to sell my house, I have had an offer, but only on the proviso that I can get internet download / upload speed improved.

The best speed I've had over the past 10 days is 0.8mb. The BT website says my exchange / postcode should provide 3.5-5.5mb.

So far this is what I have done...... Fitted an accelerator, plugged in the Ethernet cable instead of wireless, plugged everything into the main socket into the house, re-set router (BT home hub 3), followed various help from the BT page, but nothing yet has increased the speed.

A friend has recommended a Draytek router, but they look very expensive, and still no guarantee that it will improve speed.

I know that our house is 2nd from the end from our BT exchange. I feel that the problem lies with the line / exchange. What can I do??

The person offering to buy my house wants the speed increasing to 4.5mb, it's so frustrating that I'm going to lose the sale of my house because of BT..... Any help very gratefully received, cheers, Rosa
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Broadband speed only 0 .8mb!!

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

instead of master socket conenct to test socket with a new filter and no accelerator plate then repost your router stats 

the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rosa
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Hi there. Thanks for your reply.

Please bear with me, as I do not have any computer knowledge!

I have put a new ASDL filter into the test socket, and results are the same.

I've follewed your link onto the hub page and found ASDL line status page, but I do not know how to copy this info onto here???

Also just done BT speed test and diagnostics, the result is: 

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.49 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :4.42 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)

Then last bit at bottom (as it wouldn't allow me to copy all): IP profile for your line is - 0.5mbps

Thanks in anticipation... Rosa

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

from that set of stats you have a conenction speed of 4.42mb  really need to to try and copy and paste the adsl stats from the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rosa
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:
Connected
Connection time:
0 day, 00:15:45
Downstream:
4,416 Kbps
Upstream:
448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:
0/38
Type:
PPPoA
Modulation:
G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:
Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):
6.1 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):
54.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):
19.3 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):
68460 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):
8 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):
HEC Errors (Down/Up):
8 / 1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

with your attenuation of 54/55db you have a good connection speed as you are 4km from exchange.  noise margin is about normal 6db.  your profile is low from btspeedtester but if you stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days your profile will recover and rise to 3.5mb

0 Ratings
Rosa
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Hi there.

I'm not sure what a low profile on btspeedtester means, but you say my profile should recover in 3-5days??  Why should this be?  Is it because I have been re-setting the router??

I will keep everything plugged in and see what happens. 

The 3.5mb you quote, is this the download speed, because my buyer needs a download speed of 4.5mb to be suitable for his work software.

Thanks again, Rosa

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
yes the restarts have have caused the low IP Profile
0 Ratings
Rosa
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks will do!  Is the 3.5mb the download speed or connection speed?  Or are they the same thing? Thanks

0 Ratings