cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
the_abbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Broadband speed problem again - could it be the profile once more?

Hi there.

Earlier in the year I had a problem with my profile somehow getting "stuck" on 1Mbps (see https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-Broadband-Speed/Broadband-speed-limited-to-1Mbps-IP-Profile-...

We have just recently (last few days) been having some speed issues again, currently just under 1Mbps (see below). In fact when I tried the Ookla speedtest earlier, I was getting a much lower (0.1Mbps) speed with over 2000ms ping result.

I am conscious the connection time below is less than 4 days, so I'll have to wait a bit longer to get the details, but previously I have had an issue with the router (HH2.0) rebooting when I log into the advanced settings, so I'm a bit nervous I may never get there.

Anyhow, if there are any ideas on what else I might do or if you think it could be the profile again, all thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,

The_Abbot

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 22:11:35
Downstream1,150 Kbps
Upstream916 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.6 dB / 5.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)61.5 dB / 36.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm

Speedtest result - 11 Nov 2015.png

Additional test results:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.99 Mbps

0 Mbps1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.99 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.51 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.51Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Broadband speed problem again - could it be the profile once more?

At present your profile is not stuck like last time but is actually correct for your current connection speed

did you try and get your hh2 replaced by BT when you renewed your contract as it does have a problem resetting when you access the stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
the_abbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Hi imjolly. Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delayed response. Life got a little hectic.

Just to answer your question, no I didn't ask for an upgrade, but clearly I should. I'll aim to do that in the next few days.

Anyhow, things have only deteriorated on the broadband front. The latest stats on the BTWholesale BB Speed Check is an download speed of 0.29Mbps and upload of 0.66Mbps.

Here are the details from the HH:

ADSL line status

Connection information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

2 days, 11:05:57

Downstream

283 Kbps

Upstream

932 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.5

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

13.4 dB / 5.9 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

61.5 dB / 36.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

187676 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

169 / N/A

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

N/A / 0

Error Seconds (Local)

Again, unwittingly the router appears to have been reset in the last few days, though not intentionally by me.

Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

The drops in connection have resulted in high noise margin as normal 6db and you may well be in a banded profile. You need to trend maintain a stable connection and banding should release in 3/5 days. If you can get 3+ days then repost stats and we can see if mods will help and reset noise margin

I would still try customer services and see if you can get a replacement hub as the hh2 keeps resetting when you go to advance setting meaning you can't check your stats

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
the_abbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Thanks very much for this. I'll try back in a couple of days and hope that I will then have 4 days of connection. In the meantime I'll get onto the Cus Serv to see if they'll provide me with a new HH.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

it's a well known fault with the HH2 so should get it replaced

0 Ratings
the_abbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Hi imjolly,

Thanks for ongoing assistance. 

I've called up for a new HH and have agreed to a new package which the customer service agent said BT could guarentee a min of 6Mbps. I promised her this could not be achieved (a couple of times), but I've gone ahead and ordered it as if it doesn't work, I will be refunded.

Along with the above I get a new HH5. I am conscious that the HH5 may have to be returned when they realise the service cannot achieve a guarenteed min of 6Mbps, but in the very slim chance that I am on the boundary that allows this speed to be achieved, I'm willing to risk the time and effort of obtaining the refund.

In the meantime, the persistant problem with the HH2 resetting randomly hampers my attempts to get 3+ days of run time to post here. I tried to look yesterday, only to find it had reset in the morning. I've posted the latest stats below.

I guess, since I've got the new HH5 arriving next week and an engineer visit a few days later, there's little chance of having a Mod look at the current issue and perhaps quickly reset my profile to see if that works?

Best regards.

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 3:01:41
Downstream283 Kbps
Upstream931 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)8.9 dB / 5.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)61.5 dB / 36.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Is your phone working, without any noise on calls?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

it is pointless manually resetting your noise margin when you cannot maintain a stable connection

the_abbot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Hi there.

Thanks for the response. The phone line appears to be fine - just the same as it's always been. One thing that does happen though is that when I get an incoming call broadband drops, but this has been the case for sometime - ever since the Openreach engineer replaced the wallsocket earlier in the year.

Best regards.

0 Ratings