cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
griffin9959
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Broadband speed recovery after line fault.

14 days ago, after reporting no dial tone, an engineer came and replaced the cable between our house and the pole. Prior to the fault we had broadband download speeds into the region of 10Mbps. 

I understand that following such an incident we need to wait for ten days in order for the connection to retrain and return to normal.

As I said at the beginning of this post 14 days have now passed and our speed has not recovered.  At this time our download speed is only 3Mbps to 5Mbps.  I have changed nothing on our side of the master socket and based on what the engineer said about the ten day retrain period, I would expect our speed to have recovered to 10 Mbps. 

Any suggestions on how to proceed in order to get it download speeds back to where they were?

Thank you for any contributions.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband speed recovery after line fault.

can you post stats from your hub?

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results   http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

is there in line noise on home phone?

is connection stable or has there been resets/drops in internet connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
griffin9959
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

As requested please find below my hub stats and BTW Performance Test results.

The test results claim there is nothing wrong with the my speed but I note the IP profile is lower than it was prior to the engineer's repair.

Meanwhile there is no noise to be heard on the Quiet Line test.

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71435442

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E016

Firmware updated:

14-May-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

1 Days, 10 Hours 23 Minutes 56 Seconds

Data rate:

912 Kbps / 5.41 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1280 / 5632

Noise margin:

8.2 dB / 15.3 dB

Line attenuation:

35 dB

Signal attenuation:

18.3 dB / 35 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_992_5_ANNEX_A

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

475 MB Uploaded / 8778 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-52HQ

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-52HQ

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:0C:1C:D7

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Downstream Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 4.64 Mbps

0 Mbps7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.64 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 4.77 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 1.02 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.02Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

your profile is correct for your current connection speed but your noise margin at 15.3db is very high as normal is about 6db  however your connection time is only 1 day+ suggesting you are dropping connection unless that was a manual reset   for speed to improve you need a stable connection for the 10/14 days not just hub powered up

are you using test socket with a filter to see if that helps?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
griffin9959
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I have not switched anything off or restarted anything since the engineers visit.

"are you using test socket with a filter to see if that helps?"

Are you suggesting I remove the face plate and plug my filter, to which my phone and hub are connected, into the test socket?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

as your hub is dropping connection it is stopping you getting a stable connection and your noise margin reducing and speed increasing

connecting to test socket with a filter will eliminate your faceplate and internal wiring as a problem   if hub continues to drop connection then you need engineer back

0 Ratings
griffin9959
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Ok l I'll give it a go and monitor my Hub's up time 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

once in test socket if you can post stats with 5 days stable connection and no speed improvement then post back and we can see if mods will help reset noise margin and get speed back - but stable connection first

0 Ratings
griffin9959
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Will do. Thanks for your advice so far.

0 Ratings
griffin9959
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Update.

During the following days the connection refused to be up for more than about 2 and a half days. Then we went away for six days. When we came back our internet was practically useless - speeds of less than 1Mbps. Also the connection was showing it had only been up for two days.

Up to this point the hub had not been switched off or restarted since the engineer's visit. 

Anyway, I decided to do just that and restarted the hub. This seemed to improve things and the hub settled down at about 3 Mbps. The connection stayed stable and up for the next seven days, before reconnecting and jumping up to 5 Mbps.  Two days later it did another reconnect and came back at 7 Mbps.

So, that's where we are. Two days have gone by and the connection is still up and stable at 7 Mbps. Here's hoping that it stays stable and does another reconnect and comes back at 10 Mbps - the speed we had before the fault occurred.

What I've learned.  Ify have a fault and, following the repair, the connection refuses to stay up, ignore what you've been told and restart the hub at least once.

Many thanks.

0 Ratings