cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arvinneal
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Broadband speed reduced dramatically

Hi this is the diagnose result for my broadband. Before last Thrusday, the downloading speed was actually 7-9mb. However, it goes to 2-3mb now, which is a sudden and dramatic reduction. I dont know what is happening, and it seems like the connection between my hub and BT is slow. I tried to contact BT via the online chat and they gave a try to refresh the connection. Anyway, nothing has been fixed yet. So I am wondering if I can find some help here.

I am doubting there is a fault between my hub and the server but I am not sure. In fact, during bad weathers, I would experience a slow speed like this, but it always goes back to normal very soon (within 2-3 days). Dont know if itis the same case this time.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband speed reduced dramatically

From the diagnostic results your profile is low which is causing the low download speed. As profile is based on connection speed it follows your connection speed is lower than normal probably due you drops/resets in connection. Can you post stats from your router

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone 

are you currently using the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
arvinneal
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi, thanks for your reply. Here is the information about my router, which is a BT home hub 4. I haven't tried the test socket yet. And since I dont use phoneline really at home, there is no phone connected to make the quiet line test I am afraid. Actually, today the connection speed goes to even slower and I have no idea what is happening.

adsl.pnginternet.pngINFO.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

A corded phone is an essential investment for about £5 as you can check that you have a dial tone as broadband works with one wire connected although slowly whereas phone does north work highlighting a phone fault. You can also check for line noise which is often the cause of your router dropping connection and if fault in your internal wiring then you will get charged £130 for engineer call out to fix

you are currently in a banded profile due to your drops in connection and you need to get a stable connection in order for banding to release. If line continues to drop connection you will remain in banded profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
arvinneal
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for your quick response. So are u saying that I need to check my phone line to see if there is a fault that causes the drop of connection? Or is there any other solutions available?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

checking  your phone is the first basic test - see if dial tone and if yes is the line quiet. Doing it from test socket is best. Then if still dropping connection and line is quiet with dial tone then you need to get engineer visit with the knowledge that problem not with your wiring

0 Ratings