cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Broadband speed

I live in a rural community and have been told we are not going to get superfast broadband. We always used to get around 5mbps which was ok. However for the last 6 months or so our speed has dropped and after many complaints we have struggled to get just over 3 mbps. I have checked the noise margin and it is running in excess of 12 but no one in BT customer care will do anything. I have tried resetting but nothing increases the speed. We are using one of the latest home hubs. Any ideas about what I can do to get the speed back up to 5?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband speed

Stop resetting the hub for a start as that will only make things worse. Is there any noise on your line when you do a quiet line test on 17070 from the test socket?

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

@licquoricewrote:

Stop resetting the hub for a start as that will only make things worse. Is there any noise on your line when you do a quiet line test on 17070 from the test socket?

Hello and welcome.

Do as above.

Also if you can disconnect house wiring and use a filter direct into master socket that will help us all.

Also use a corded phone 17070 you are 'looking' for silence, noise is bad. Faulty wireless phone could cost you £85.

And then leave it on as long a pos.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi and thanks for the quick replies.  I have not reset hub for more than 2 weeks now hoping this would settle things down.  I will try the quiet line test but we dont have filters as we have a master socket with 2 plugs.

0 Ratings
DiggerOfTrenches
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

You need to look in the shed or borrow one. You won't get much help without one. If engineer turns up and you ain't got and your wiring is faulty etc. possibility of £85 charge.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

can you post stats from your hub  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information   if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

if you have not been resetting hub recently then hub will confirm if line stable by showing connection time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings