cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeP_UK
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Broadband suddenly slowed

Hi our ADSL Max broadband used to run at 3.3 Mbps with sync speed of 3776 kbps. At that time it had a profile set to 4 Mbps and was very good and reliable for 6 months. Then it slowed to 2.9 Mbps, still fairly good and the profile had been reset to 3 Mbps.

Almost a fortnight ago it suddeenly slowed overnight to 1.9 Mbps with anoise margin around 13 dB and a profile of 2 Mbps. I've been in contact with 'tech support' in India and they seem to not know what to do!

To me, it seems clear that the change in the profile and the much too hich noise margin are linked and the root cause of our slow broadband. It is also clear that any claims being made that our line is not capable of faster is blatantly untrue. So the problem lies either with the overhead copper line itself or else with the 'old' equipment in our local exchange (Hilmarton, Wiltshire) that is not even up to 21CN standards and we're not aware of any plans/date for it to join the current millennium with a fibre service.

Anyone at BT got any ideas how this ongoing problem can be resolved.  All the usual checks internally have been made and show no roblems whatsoever, the HH3 is connected directly to the Master Socket and we use 100 Mbps Ethernet connections.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband suddenly slowed

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router you may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MikeP_UK
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

imjolly

You beat me to it!

Here are the stats from my HH3

ADSL Line Status

Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:9 days, 12:28:04
Downstream:2,592 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):12.7 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):17.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):492349 / 1083
CRC Events (Down/Up):90351 / 1115
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):158526 / 945
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0

As you can see, the noise margin is way too high and has got worse since the guys at the call centre tried to improve it, but it just got worse!

ALL the usual tests have been conducted and test made via the 'test socket', etc. So there is not internal problem, thus the cause must be external to the house.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

as you now have a stable conenction for 9+ days the mods will help by resetting noise margin back to 6db which should bring speed back to what it was.  mods will post a contact us link when they read this 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 5 of 7

@MikeP_UK wrote:

So the problem lies either with the overhead copper line itself or else with the 'old' equipment in our local exchange (Hilmarton, Wiltshire) that is not even up to 21CN standards and we're not aware of any plans/date for it to join the current millennium with a fibre service.

HI MikeP-UK,

It's not quite as far away as you might think.  Check your situation here Wiltshire Online website.

On 30th January 2013, Wiltshire Council in partnership with South Gloucestershire Council awarded a contract to BT to provide superfast broadband.

91% of all premises will be able to access superfast broadband (with speeds greater than 24Mbps) by March 2016.

The total investment is £35.6m, with £4.6m from BDUK, £2m from South Gloucestershire Council, £15.5m from Wiltshire Council, £12.8m from BT and £0.74m from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).

The first exchanges enabled under the project are expected to go live with fibre in spring 2014.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi MikeP_UK,

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
MikeP_UK
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I spoke with a responsible officer at Wiltshire Council last week and he told me that the statements about 'August 2014' were premature as it has not been agreed as yet!  It would be nice to think things may happen from then but our location is likely to be amongest the last to benefit due to low subscriber numbers!It is a very low density rural area.

I have good connections with both Councillors and many officers at Wiltshire Council as I serve voluntarily os several committees in the local area all of which have close ties with WC.

0 Ratings