Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Letmeboogey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Bt broadband speed & IP profile

i had devices that connect to my wifi, I sometimes find those devices can't connect and had to restart my router so they would connect, is that right or is there another way ?

I was getting a broadband speed of 14.8 to 15mb but since I restarted my router I am now only getting 12 to 14mb, what should I do ? Will resting my profile help ? Why should a restart of router have such an affect ? Any help is fully appreciated
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Bt broadband speed & IP profile

constantly resetting your router will result in increased noise margin and a drop in connection speed so wherever possible a stable 24/7 connection is best     as your profile on adsl2+ is 88.2% of connection speed then your profile changes as soon as your conenction spee changes so is always correct.  to get a higher profile you need a faster connection speed

can you post stats from your hub (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Bt broadband speed & IP profile

restarting your router to many times shows the exchange equipment that the line is unstable and i will reduce your speed to try and stabilise your connection minimal or no resets are the most important thing in maintaining the best possible speed
0 Ratings