Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

CONNECTION DROPPING AND SLOW WEB PAGES

Go to solution

We live in country in old house with thick walls not near exchange so have had problem for many years when using Wi-Fi on our laptops it keeps dropping connection and majority of the time takes ages for web site to come up, the room we use our laptops in is approximately 11 metres from hub.

BT say we are getting a good speed for our area so last year we bought new laptops in the hope this would help but no difference so we were advised to buy Wi-Fi extender which we did and we can now use our laptops in a room we could not before but we still keep dropping connection and takes ages to bring up web page.

I recently rang BT who got me to connect laptop to hub with cable and do a speed test which came out at 1.6 which they said shows it is working perfectly and they suggested I buy a powerline adapter so I went to their website and find the BT mini 500 home hotspot is no longer available [I know Amazon are still selling them but wonder why BT are not] I telephoned BT who said they are no longer selling them because their new Smart Hub now does everything the adapter did however although I have been a loyal customer for years and years they will not upgrade me to a smart hub and the cost is £129.99 which I am loathed to pay out because I have no guarantee it will solve my problem.

We are both disabled and need to be able to use our laptops wirelessly as having cables around is too much of a problem for us.

Any advice would be much appreciated

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: CONNECTION DROPPING AND SLOW WEB PAGES

Go to solution
The hotspot 500 has been replaced by the hot spot 600 and can be bought from the BT shop website you do not need a new hub
0 Ratings
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for info, I googled hot spot 600 and there are 2 in the BT Shop
The hotspot plus 600 kit for £89.98 or the
Home hotspot 600 multi kit for £69.99 this one says NO to pass through socket but I do not know what pass through socket is so can you please advise it does seem odd that the cheaper kit has 3 parts and the more expensive only has 2
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
pass through refers to it having a power socket on the front so not taking away a socket from use
0 Ratings
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for reply so I am not too worried about being able to use the plugs so would it be better to buy the kit which has two plugs so I could have one in each room or would the kit with one plug be stronger signal ?

Sorry to be such a nuisance but I am not technical and want to make sure I buy the correct one.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
it is a personal choice which ever suits you needs the signals from the extenders is the same
0 Ratings
JANEVANS02
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your help and patience I have just purchased the item on line and will receive in a couple of days all being well.

0 Ratings